Automation of status change of subitem greyed out when changing status of parent

I am having issues trying to get a Subitem status to change when the parent item status changes. I has a error message when setting up the automation - ‘previous selection don’t include subitem context’ so the subitem status column I want to update is greyed out? It feels like something Monday.com should be able to do, when a parent item is done then mark the sub items as done?

Anyone been able to do this or find a work around, or is this a bug?

2 Likes

I am having the same issue, and cannot seem to find a workaround for it. Just wondering if anyone has found a solution yet.

I was trying to use:

“When a status changes to something, change another status to something”

Every time I tried to set it up, the Subitem status would be grayed out. Then I tried selecting the 2nd status of the sentence (subitem) FIRST, then going back and choosing the 1st status. I wonder if that will work for you.

We really want this feature as well.

For now they want you to use a paid app (free for 250 uses a month, 800euro a year for the 1st paid tier) to do this basic functionallity.

Reason its not working is that every subitem of a parent item is actually on another (hidden) board. This is why other automations also dont work with subitems. Seems like a design flaw in the backend to me.