Can I mirror a subitem on one board to a subitem on another board?

I want to mirror a subitem on one board to a subitem on a second board, but it appears that only top level items can be mirrored. Is there a workaround?

6 Likes

Hi @cwibben

You can mirror subitems on one board to the another subitem in another board by creating a connected boards column in the subitem line.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards
Cleopatra Luneburg
upstream

2 Likes

Thank you @Cleopatra-upstream for the response. Unfortunately, the drop down list only show columns for top level items, not columns for sub items. So, I am not seeing subitems as an option to mirror. Hoping I am just missing it and someone can show me how. Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi @cwibben

What you can do is, on the board that has the subitem, create an automation that when the subitem status is xxx the parent item will also be xxx.

Then mirror the subitem on the other board to the parent status xxx.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Cleopatra Luneburg
upstream

Thanks again, but I am thinking that won’t resolve the question because it would mean a rollup from multiple subitems to a single parent item. Each of the subitems have different dates & statuses, each of which I need to reflect in the other board. I think the only way is to completely change the setup of the board (e.g. change high level items to Groups and change sub items to high level items.) I don’t prefer this idea as it will create 15 more groups to the board and that is a lot of scrolling between groups when needing to compare, due to all the white space. It would be more helpful if there was a way to minimize the space between groups. Thanks again for the suggestions.

2 Likes

Hi @cwibben :wave:

I’m afraid this is a current limitation of the subitem mirroring. The posts above would be the only available options at the moment. I know this isn’t ideal!

I can definitely appreciate how this would be a useful addition to the platform for yourself, and I’m sure for other teams too, so I would highly recommend opening a thread in our Feature Request section.
Here other users who would also like this added to the platform will be able to upvote the feature!
You can find this here: Submit an Idea - monday Community Forum

Best,
Dani

1 Like

Hi @cwibben,

We would be happy to assist you with developing this should you wish to.
I would be happy to help in any way with that, please let me know.
BR,

Osnat - ESL

2 Likes

Hey @cwibben :wave:

To help close this out so future readers can quickly find the answer, here’s a summary of the thread:

1. This is a current limitation of the subitem mirroring capabilities. However, you can absolutely submit official feedback on this that can be voted on and help our Product Team prioritize their roadmap as we make future changes: Feature feedback - monday Community

2. If it fits your workflow, you can refer to these two posts:

1. @OsnatESL has offered to help you develop this if you want to contact them for more information

I hope this helps! Feel free to open a new post if you have other questions about the platform as well :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Jenna

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.