Create a template with the same timeline structure, adjust dates automatically

For one of my clients, I have a series of about 15-20 steps that have to take place from start to finish on any given project. These dates are spaced out exactly the same for every single project. I’ve created a template, but I’m at a loss for how I can update the main “Due Date” on the template and automatically have all other dates adjust accordingly.

Item A and item B may occur 1 business day apart, while items C and D could be 4 business days apart, so a formula specific to an entire column won’t work.

hi @araetzloff

Welcome to the community. It may sound frightening but it is really simple. Click your avatar > developers and then hit create app button. Give the app a name and possibly a logo and hit “Create feature”. In the popup click “Workspace templates”. Give the feature a name, description etc and take note of what is called the “Date anchor”.

On the top left you will find 2 views. The current view is “Feature details” and when you switch to “Workspace” you can select an entire workspace that holds the board you want to reuse every time, maybe some other boards and dashboards etc.

The “Date anchor” is your reference date where all other dates are dependent on. When creating a new workspace using your own app you will be prompted to enter a new date.

See: https://monday.com/developers/apps/workspace-templates/

I’ve worked through the first few steps with no problem, but when I get to Feature Details, there are no Workspaces for me to select.

Do you have workspace in your account? Also: I think you need to be account admin but not 100% sure.

Hey @araetzloff ~ Welcome to the Community! :wave:

If you need to push the dates within an item or across items in a workflow template, then it sounds like you might be looking for our Dependency abilities!:

Here is a quick loom to explain one of our “Adjust” recipes to better explain the concept and use-case of an anchor date: Loom | Free Screen & Video Recording Software | Loom

I hope this helps! Remember to mark as solved if this answers your question :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Jenna

I wonder if you have any luck in the end, I am in the verge or deciding which Project Management tool to use and this is the only feature that I cannot see in monday.com

Here is an example of what clickup can do, when you choose a template, it is asking for a start/end date

I’m curious if anyone has created a template with the Date Anchor that I can use? I’m trying to create a template for our Webinar production since we always want to send emails 14, 7 and 1 day before the webinar.

To adjust the dates automatically, you can use a spreadsheet program like Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets. Follow these steps:

1. Create a new spreadsheet and enter the event titles in the first column.
  2. In the second column, enter the start dates for each event.
  3. In the third column, enter the end dates for each event.
  4. Highlight the cells in the second and third columns that contain the dates.
  5. Right-click and select “Format Cells” or “Number Format.”
  6. Choose the date format that you prefer, such as “MM/DD/YYYY” or “DD/MM/YYYY.”
  7. Click “OK” to apply the formatting.
  8. Save the spreadsheet and use it as a template for future events.
  9. When you need to adjust the dates, simply update the start and end dates in the appropriate cells, and the spreadsheet will automatically adjust the timeline.