Create Dropdown Column from Items on another Board

We would love to see the option to create Dropdown Column values based on items on another board.

We use dropdown columns on multiple boards with the same values (approx 50 names). We would like to be able to only maintain one list (or board) that is updated to all those dropdown columns.

I know there is the option to copy the column, and that was really useful in setup, but it would be good to have a streamlined way of adding extra value(s) to those dropdown lists.

I’m also looking for this kind of solution.
Is there any plan of having this feature/column in the product roadmap?

Have a common and centralized table source of data where it can be referenced by multiple dropdown columns. So you have only one source to update or change and it will automatically reflect to all affected columns.

Hi @donaldcornel - While there are column templates currently, changes to them do not cascade down to other copies of that column in other boards. Centralized template management is coming later in 2021 for Enterprise accounts and this will allow you to do what you describe.

Another approach instead of a dropdown column is to create a “lookup” board where the item names are your values. For example, we have a client that services locations nationwide for a building supply company. All of the locations are centralized in one board, using a structured naming convention as the item names. Then on all other boards that need to reference those locations, we have a Connect Boards linked column. This allows them to easily keep track of everything in one place and also add other useful reference info, like the street address, store manager, etc. that can be seen with one click without leaving the boards.

If you would like me to walk through it with you on a Zoom call I’d be happy to do that. You can book a time here: Book a call with Polished Geek: Do more with monday․com

1 Like

Hi Polished Geek…

Is it possible to have this column on a form? I have a situation where I have a form. On that form I need a drop down list box that is populated by entries in another board.

I created the connected board/column, but getting a statement on the form stating some columns are not supported yet. I am assuming it’s referring to the connected board/column that I added.

3 Likes

I also need this for a form. I tried using the connect boards column, but that doesn’t show up on a form. We regularly ask our users how we can improve (via a conversation) and track this data using a form (our employees filling out the form seem to struggle if we ask them to enter it into a table instead). We want a column indicating which company the user belongs to, and would like it to reference our global company list.

Hi @blhill - native monday forma do not handle this however SuperForm does. They do have a free plan for a small number of form submissions.

Thanks!
Mark

Is there any updates on a feature for centralized dropdown list management?

1 Like