Creating chart for projects with non-linear phases (therefore non-linear statuses)

I work for a research org where our research projects have multiple phases (e.g., planning, data collection, data analysis, etc.). Our workflow used to be setup so that each project phase was its own group, and teams would move projects to the next group as their project progressed. The problem was that projects are not always linear and sometimes projects exist in two phases at one time (e.g., data collection at the same time they’re doing data analysis).

We recently modified our workflow so that rather than use multiple groups, we created a status column for each phase of the project, all connected to the same item.

The problem is that I cannot figure out how to create a chart that will show all five status columns on the same chart. I tried a stacked bar chart and was hoping I could have a planning bar (the stacks would be the various potential statuses for that phase, as in ‘in progress’, ‘on hold’), a data collection bar, etc. After taking the reporting webinar I’m starting to think that this kind of reporting will just not work for trying to track multiple statuses for the same item.

Hi @f10suzanne - that indeed would be difficult to visualize in a chart as you would need the ability for multi x-axis to show this.

Have you considered using a single Dropdown Column for your phases rather than multiple status columns? While not as visually pleasing, it allows you to select multiple phases per item where needed and simple representation on a chart.

Hope this helps,
Mark