Custom Automations - Add Custom Key/Value for Action Output Fields

Hello Monday.com Community,

I am currently working on an in-house solution for my IT/Consulting company and have come across a situation in which I need to calculate contractor payments and invoicing according to completed work tasks, meetings, and/or discovery work.

Each of the three objects are captured in their own board, but generally have the same shape including the status, hours to bill, and due/completion date.

However, each object follows a slightly modified workflow when it comes to the actual calculations themselves. This is all handled fine and well in the back-end, however I needed to create three separate actions to accomodate each use case, for I am passing in the task type using query string parameters as shown below.

Would it be possible to add a “Custom” data input field type that can be set with raw values when during action configuration for a recipe? We can work with having three separate actions and using query string parameters for now, but having a feature of like this would provide value to us, as I hope it would to others.

Please let me know what y’all think, and happy coding! :cowboy_hat_face:

Andrew

Hi @andrew.shatz

Good question, don’t fully understand where you want to input that “Custom” data field. Are the recipes living on each of the three boards? In that case you could use the boardId and check that in your code (kind of ugly) or you can use a custom field with a simple list. If you include that custom field in your action you should ask for it in the recipe sentence and you end[point will get the selected value. Maybe I do not state it very clear so here is the short version :slight_smile:

• create a custom field, like cfType and define a list (key/value)
  • add that field to the input fields of your action
  • your action endpoint get the selected value in cfType.value
  • and from there your action can do different things for different types
1 Like

@basdebruin, you are a gentleman and a scholar!

The field types worked perfectly for this use case! I just needed a way to inject a custom string into payload request based on which board the recipe is configured in. Using the custom field types solved this use case with the use of only one recipe.

Thank you for taking the time to help me walk this through. I think at this point, the issue is solved and personally feel there is no need for a feature request.

@andrew.shatz

I’m so glad to hear that @basdebruin was able to provide a solution that makes sense to implement here :slight_smile: That’s awesome!

I’ve gone ahead and moved the topic to the FAQ section then, if you don’t mind. As always, I appreciate your thoughtful input, @basdebruin !

-Alex

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.