Drill down into other boards to look up a value for a formula

I am trying to calculate revenue generated by multiplying the time recorded on an item (let’s call this item an activity) with an hourly rate. The hourly rates are kept in a different board and depend on both the timekeeper and the matter the activity belongs to. Both the Timekeeper (People column) and the Matter (Connected Boards column) are stored on the activity item. So to calculate the revenue generated per activity item, I need a way to reach into the Rates board and find the item where the Timekeeper and the Matter match the activity item and pull the hourly rate from that item. Is there a way to do that?

hi @davidpfahler

Welcome to the community. There is an app in the marketplace called Match Index Column, see monday.com: Apps Marketplace that functions like the well known Excel MATCH and INDEX functions. It matches on a match column (can also be the leftmost name column) and returns the value from the index column. A full detailed document can be found here: https://excellent-team.nl/wp-content/uploads/edd/2021/05/Match-Index-Column.pdf

Thank you @basdebruin for your answer. To be honest, I am somewhat disappointed that monday.com does not provide this functionality on their own. I will check out the app you mentioned though. Unfortunately, due to regulatory reasons, I cannot simple use a third-party app without further paperwork, so I am still looking for a different solution.

1 Like

A cool feature in a similar application I am familiar with allows you to “Calculate” the value. This field is extremely robust and allows you to identify a value from a different board based on parameters set. You can also then perform an additional function(s) on the newly derived value. I use calculated fields for EVERYTHING in the other app. It would be awesome is Monday would implement a similar field

1 Like

Hi @jmkst26 :wave:

Welcome to the Community!

I can definitely appreciate how this would be a useful addition to the platform for yourself, and I’m sure for other teams too, so I would highly recommend opening a thread in our Feature Request section.
Here other users who would also like this added to the platform will be able to upvote the feature!
You can find this here: Feature feedback - monday Community

Best,
Dani

Hi @jmkst26 :wave:

I hope the answers in this thread are useful!
As we haven’t had any updates here, I’m going to go ahead and mark this thread as closed.

If you have any additional questions or you feel your original query wasn’t resolved, please feel free to let us know and we’ll be happy to continue to assist!

Best,

Dani