Dropdown lists or Connect boards columns to show data when client is selected?

hey,

we want to create a drop down list of clients that when selected has the clients details etc that we can refer to later on. and ALSO have this list popluate itself when new clients are created - does anyone do anything similar ?

1 Like

Hi @Chrismm - and welcome to the community.

This sounds like it would be better suited for a Connected Boards column rather than a dropdown. Basically, you could have another board solely for your customers and their information. You can then (in your main board) reference the Customer board and mirror any details you would like pertaining to that specific customer pulse.

Hope this helps!
Mark

Seconding connected board with mirror columns. We start with a robust client database. And pull in the information as we need it per project. we created a form view in the client database which we send to new clients. Hope that helps. The benefit of connected boards/mirrored columns is they can be updated from anywhere and will always be reflected back to the client database.

@Chrismm,

One very cool feature that most people seem to be unaware of is being able to access the card view of connected items.

When a new Connect boards column is created the default setting is “Allow linking to multiple items”.
Being capable of linking to multiple items is, of course, a powerful feature. However, when this is turned off, it gives the users direct access to the whole linked item via the card view.

So, instead of seeing this when you click on the link:

The user will see the card view of the attached item:

This setting is accessed on the column settings of the given Connect boards column:

1 Like

Hi @Chrismm :wave:

I wholeheartedly agree with everything said above, especially @JCorrell’s suggestion of using the item card.
It looks like this might have answered your question, is that correct?

If so, please don’t forget to mark it as the solution so other users can easily find it, and to close this thread :slightly_smiling_face:
If not, feel free to ask any additional questions you have!

Best,
Dani

It appears the connect boards column does not appear on forms. We would like to give a dropdown as an option on the form, with the dropdown coming from a list we keep in another board…list of customers or list of sales people.

1 Like

I’m new here (and I know this is an old post), but I’ll do my best to explain how I get around this problem as I’ve spent a bunch of time scouring the internet trying to figure out if this was possible.

Here’s how I do it:

I have two forms, each connected to a board. One board is called “contacts” and the other is called “projects”. So, I have a form to “add a contact”, which adds a contact to my contacts board and then I have an “add a project” form that adds a new project to my projects board.

On my “add a project” form I have a dropdown with a list of all of my contacts to choose from. This dropdown is populated from a dropdown column in my “projects board”.

So, how do I get my dropdown column in my “projects” board to be populated by the new contact added to my “contacts” board?

I use zapier to do the following:

1.) create a line item (I call it “do not delete”) in my projects board, with the trigger being of when a new item is added to my contacts board.
2.) use the client name and company name from the new item added to the contacts board to populate the appropriate dropdown columns in my “projects board” for the newly created item in my "projects " board. ( item called “do not delete”)
3.) delete the new created line item in my “projects board” (which I named “do not delete”)

Boom! The new Client and Company that I just added using the contacts form will now show up in my “add a project form”.

Hope this helps others like myself who were trying to figure out how to auto-populate a dropdown list in a form.