Feature Request: Dependency Automation - Status Complete, Notify Next Task Owner

All current dependency automations help with changing dates but it’d be great to have a trigger notification functionality with people. For example, if I use the dependency link to say task 1 has to happen before task 2 it’d be great to have an automation that says: If the status of task 1 is complete, notify owner of task 2.

This would help automate tasks with in a project that must be done in a certain order get done more efficiently. You would no longer have to depend on the owners of the tasks to notify each other of its status or expect them to check the board frequently for status updates.

Thank you!

2 Likes

I would love this. Dependent tasks would be a great addition to Monday. Especially is subtasks are a while away.

Hi @Shelby and @cfraticelli! I agree this would be an awesome addition. We are working on the quality of our dependencies but this is definitely something our product team is considering adding as a next step to dependencies on the platform. We appreciate the feedback and hope to see this implemented down the road! Cheers!

2 Likes

There is a workaround that you can follow to accomplish your needs by configuring 2 automations on your board. The first one to update the status of the dependent task when the task is done and the second by notifying the responsable for the dependent task whenever the status of its task has changed to something like ‘Ready to go’. I have printed a sample board with this configuration set. Hope this approach helps you.

6 Likes

Oh wow. That’s brilliant, thank you!

This is great!! Thank you!

Hey @agranville how about if Task 2 status should not be changed or worked on if task 1 is not done. Is there any workaround for that?
Or send an alert to the people column if Task 2 has started when Task 1 is not completed?

Hey @joanneteh :wave:

It’s not currently possible to prevent a different item’s status from changing until the status of its dependent item is changed accordingly if you are using our internal Dependency Automations.

if you are comfortable coding or have access to any developers, you can build your own automation to achieve this using our API:

If you need additional support on our APIs or apps platform, I would recommend doing a search for your question in our developer community here. You can also post to the community to get help from other monday.com developers.

If you need help building custom integrations, we also have an option for paid assistance through our network of certified monday.com partners. If this interests you, simply fill out this form and someone will be in touch shortly!

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Jenna

2 Likes

Thanks @jennap for the updates. Will explore further by my own.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.