Format longtext column

Hi Everyone, Is anyone here know how to format the Long text column on monday.com through integration, that instead will create a paragraph, we would like to make a separate line item.

Example: Instead of (how to format long text column on monday.com)

I want to be like the below: It is making more sense, and useful if you referring to a long text as task description.

• How
  • to
  • format
  • Long text
  • column

Hey @V-Marie,

My warmest welcome to the community :slight_smile: I hope you enjoy your stay!

At the time, our Long Text column doesn’t currently support any formatting options at all, I’m afraid, and this is true for both API values and adding text to the column manually. That said, I do think it’s a great idea and I’ve moved the question to the Feature Suggestions section so that our product team will be able to consider this update moving forward.

Thanks so much for reaching out and connecting with us :slight_smile:

-Alex

3 Likes

Hi, what is the status on this? This would be extremely useful.

1 Like

I would also like to place a vote for this one, and to check in for an update. We’ve actually moved away from using this column in our different feedback and risk tracking boards, as the limited space and capability to use them didn’t work well for us visually or functionally. Instead, we ended up switching over to using Info Boxes in the update section, but even then that means they’re hidden from visibility when reviewing a list until the updates are opened.

I would like to up vote this too!!!

Yes, lets make this a priority! Formatting long text blocks is a must!

1 Like

Adding my vote for this. At the very least, text should be left-justified by default in this cell format. It’s very awkward and hard to read when text is center-justified.

Hi. I´m new to this community and glad to be able to share our feedback with you :smiling_face:

We´re using Monday for our companies annual plans and are using several “Long text” column within item cards in order for each team leader to add longer chunks of texts. Currently there´s no way to format the text in the “Long Text” column which is a huge disadvantage for us. Our wish is to be able get standard formatting options like bolding text, make bullet point lists and numbered lists, add links, separators etc. to get a better overview of the information.

Thank you!

Kind regards,
Therese

Hey @Filurisen,

Thanks for your feature request and welcome to the community :smiley:

We hear you and recognise there is demand for this particular feature. So that we can put greater emphasis on this need, we are going to merge your request into the existing feature request here. Every quarter we take the features with the top votes to our development team for a response.

You can read more about our feature request process here: All you need to know about our feature request process! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @BiancaT,

Thank you :smile:

Great thank you and sorry I missed that there were already an existing feature request for this.

1 Like

I want to use the Long Text column to create a bulleted or numbered list or do other formatting.

Hi,

when adding text to a Longtext column like

"This is an example for an item list

o item 1
o item 2
o item 3

"

formatting seems to work now.

Monday decided to revert the formatting capability recently so you’re no longer able to do any line breaks in the Long Text columns.

@BiancaT Any insight as to why this decision was made after it was successfully implemented?

Hey Desmond, I am happy to chat with our internal team about this and share any insight into why the change was made. I will get back to you when I have a response :pray:

Hey Desmond, just an update!

I’ve spoken with the team and also tested this once again, and am able to successfully add line breaks into the long text column:

Is the issue that it loses its formatting when clicking out of the box?

Hi Bianca,

Yes, you’re correct. Just last week or so you’d be able to enter line breaks, click out the box, and it would save/show there’s line breaks.

But now like in your video once you click out the editor, the column will smush all the text together into 1 line. We use the long text column in our high level board to show updates/comments from each department, so now it gets hard to read with no way to show separation.

Thank you for clarifying Desmond - I hear you! I am following up with our product team and will get back to you asap :+1:

Bianca, I recently noticed that I too could no longer format the Long Text column. the Support person said it was removed recently but to come here and suggest it.

I will go to the earlier post with the link to upvote the request.

But, yes, please do check with the product team and see if this can be “fixed”. We use Long text extensively as it allows us to more clearly communicate to our significant number of users vs. a large blob of unformatted text.

Thank you!

Hi everyone,

Thank you for being patient with me throughout this!

I have been in conversation with our product team who mentioned the following:

We can confirm that the long text column did not have this capability before. We always show it in a line regardless of the brake lines, and only when the user hovers over the cell does the value preview show the brake lines. The reason why we do not show the break lines in the cell is that then each row will have different height

If you have any screenshots or examples of the functionality before the change that I can share with the team, that would be great. That said, I have ensured that your feedback has been heard and considered in future improvements.

Hi Bianca,

It looks like this was fixed or implemented again (and hopefully will stay) over the weekend.

This was exactly how the column was behaving before the removal recently.

1 Like