Formula That Concatenates Text

Hello,

I am trying to create a formula that concatenates text and creates a string based on the values of multiple different columns. This column would dynamically generate unique identifiers for items. “Rack ID,” “Bay,” and “Shelf” are all status columns, “Slot” is a numbers column, and “Unit ID” is an auto number column. I have tried using the names of the columns and also their column IDs as well, but I can’t seem to get it working. I keep getting the “Illegal Formula” error.

Here is what I have so far: “SCW.” + IF([Rack ID].name = “On Ground”, “Ground_#” + [Unit ID].value, IF([Rack ID].name = “Surplus”, “Surplus_#” + [Unit ID].value, IF([Rack ID].name = “Bucket Rack”, “Bucket_Rack_#” + [Unit ID].value, [Rack ID].name + [Bay].name + [Shelf].name + “.” + [Slot].value)))

How can this problem be solved?

hi @Onur

I am not a formula expert, there are other like @JCorrell that can most certainly help out.

I was wondering what kind of auto number column you use for “Unit ID”. The app AutoID Column (see https://monday.com/marketplace/17) can create unique ID’s and let you define the format of the generated ID, including the content of other columns like status columns you are using.

@Onur

It’s not completely clear from your syntax what you are trying to do. But…

Try starting with this:

"SCW." & IF({Rack ID} = "On Ground",
   "Ground_#" & {Unit ID},
   IF({Rack ID} = "Surplus", 
      "Surplus_#" & {Unit ID},
      IF({Rack ID} = "Bucket Rack",
         "Bucket_Rack_#" & {Unit ID},
         {Rack ID} & {Bay} & {Shelf} & "." & {Slot}
      )
   )
)

Jim - The Monday Man
Do you wish there was an app that.… Visit the Wishing Well
We Create Custom Apps, Integrations & Automations for monday

@JCorrell

Thank you for the support, the formula you have provided works. It seems that the auto number column is not supported by formulas so I had to change it to a regular numbers column.

1 Like