Generate form when item is created - update existing item

Hello!
In my architectural firm we often need to collect our clients’ personal data.
So, this is what I wanted to do: every time a new project (board) is created an automation creates a new item inside a CRM board named as the project.
The idea was then to send a form generated from the CRM board to the client to collect all the needed personal data.
The problem is that it seems that forms can be used only to create new items and not to modify existing ones, is it right? Or is there a way to share an already created item as a form?
Why I need this? Because this way I know the data I receive back from the form belong to that specific project.

@edoaber

I recently ran into this issue as well. In trying to send out forms for customer satisfaction surveys, we found that natively within Monday, you can’t have the form link back to the item it was sent from(without forcing your form responder to know and input a very specific pulse ID).

Unless someone from Monday can weigh in on this feature or an ETA on it (@TRB-monday.com), I can only see this currently being achievable through 3rd Party Integration Apps, like Integromat. If this feature is important to your Monday usage, and you are interested in exploring the custom integration route, message me and we can discuss more details.

1 Like

Hey @andrewalmand and @edoaber! There’s no way to edit the form retroactively, i.e. after an item has already been created. Form submissions will always create new items, not edit existing ones.

Edoardo, your use case is really helpful as feedback and I’ve passed it on to the team.

Forms are going to be a big focus for us for Q2, but as far as I’ve heard and seen, this isn’t one of the features that will be added (this feature is currently a 2021 candidate for us).

My thought would be to reorganize the board a bit. How many clients do you have and how many projects? What about making a group per client, and then using an automation to select a status and have that send the item to a group? In other words, you could have an incoming project requests group at the top, and then you could use statuses to send down the requests to the relevant group for the client. Or, you could have a CRM board, and then boards for each project. You could link the project boards to the CRM board using a connect boards column and mirror relevant data:

Could something like that work? Feel free to let me know what you think :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

I would like to add +1 to this request. I would be very useful to be able to create a form to add information into an already existing/created item.

In our case we have a board with items created from regional teams, and in those items they can continue after the item is created adding/updating information (in different columns) later on as they are collecting it. And some information they need to ask to clients in their own regions, if it could be possible to create a form selecting some columns of an already created/existing item, to send to clients that can add/update the information directly would be very useful.

Now the work around is to export the items to Excel, then send the excel file to the clients to add/update information and then when the file is back, to add the information to the existing items in monday.com… and extra process that could be improved with the option in the form.

I’d like to add my vote to this. I know it kind makes sense from a website perspective to have the form create the item but we tend to have the clients already and then we only want to get more additional info from them about the project maybe. So being able to add info from a form onto a existing item would be great.

Hello @Dian94 ,
You can update existing item with incoming new data using the Duplicates and Uniques app.
Here is a demo.

@kolaai thanks I can see how that might be useful for others but I think to base this on a duplication system isn’t going to work in our situation. The more elegant and ideal solution would just be to be able to automate a button on an item to send a form to a email adress in a column and just return the info on that item via submission. That is the level of user friendliness that we need.