How to change timeline based on completion date

Preface: VERY new Monday user here, experimenting with it for use in a smaller automation company. Familiar with MS Project but not Monday.

I have a normal looking project management board. I am using dependencies to make one task start after another. However if the first task takes too long I want the following task to move along with it. So when I set the status to “done” the completion date is set to “today”.

Now I want one of two things to happen.

1. I want the duration to change to reflect the actual duration. I have created a formula to calc the # of days between the start and end dates. However I do not know how to get this into a number format or to push it into the duration column. This way the next task start date will move to the day following the completion date.

OR

1. I want the next task’s timeline start date to update to the predecessor’s completion date.

Or am I missing a basic workflow here. If a task goes long and there is a dependent, how do I get the next task to move.

Do most people just change the duration?

1 Like

Hey Sean,

Thanks for raising this!

If you have preset the timelines in your items and set those dependencies, changes should automatically reflect in waterfall flow…

Similarly, any change made to the duration should automatically adjust the timeline.

I understand you ideally would like to cast the duration in that formula column in to the duration column - I am looking into some potential third party apps such as general caster to potentially cast that formula value into the duration column… that said, I believe there might be a limitation with casting formula values into other columns… looking into this… I’d also recommend exploring our apps marketplace for any apps to help work with this limitation :pray: