How to Create Custom Activities Appearing in the "Overview" Section of an Item?

Hello everyone,

I am currently developing an integration for our monday.com workspace and am looking to enhance the way activities are tracked and displayed. Specifically, I am interested in creating activities that will automatically appear in the “Overview” section of an item. I would also like to explore the possibility of defining custom activity types that could be used for this purpose, in addition to built-in activity types, such as “New email”, “Meeting”, “Call summary” or “Note”.

1. Is there a way to programmatically create activities that are directly visible in the “Overview” section of an item? I am specifically looking to create an entry in the “Overview” section, and not in “Updates” section.
  2. Does anyone have experience or advice on creating custom activity types within monday.com? If so, how did you go about implementing this, and what limitations should I be aware of?
  3. Are there specific API functionalities or workarounds that you’ve used to simulate this type of activity logging? I was unable to find any mention of such possibility in Monday platform API reference (About the API reference)

Any guidance, examples, or resources you could share would be greatly appreciated. I’m particularly interested in hearing about any creative solutions or best practices that could help streamline this process.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Creating custom activities that appear in the “Overview” section of an item can enhance the user experience and provide valuable insights. Here’s a detailed guide on how to accomplish this:

1. Define the Purpose:

Before creating custom activities, define the purpose and relevance of each activity. Consider what information you want to display in the “Overview” section and how it adds value to the user.

2. Choose a Platform:

Select a platform or framework where you want to implement custom activities. Common platforms include web applications, mobile apps, or productivity software like project management tools.

3. Determine Data Sources:

Identify the data sources needed for the custom activities.

Hi Rikaz, I appreciate your time, but your reply doesn’t really clarify any of my questions :confused: