I use Monday.com for tracking progress on On-boarding Training and Company Skillset Tracking

Ive created a Board as a template to be copied for each new hire - we then added a time tracker column so we can get a good average on future training time allotted. I also use the time column to get a weighted progress graph to show how much is actually completed (one course may be 3x as long to complete than the others, so its more significant to complete that course, etc).

Adding a link column helps link directly to the source material (app training site, powerpoint, guru card, etc)

4 Likes

@eli First of all - welcome to the monday.com community!

This is an excellent board - your team must really value being able to see all these insights collected on every single new hire. I love how you’ve used Link to Item column to add that ease-of-access functionality to the board.

How’s the Chart view working for you so far?

1 Like

Hi Eli!

Glad to see others out there doing On-boarding via boards.

Something very nice we developed here for our continuous on-boarding is a linear workflow in a board with automations to tag the next person to complete their piece.

Hi Eli! Glad to see others out there doing On-boarding via boards. Something very nice we developed here for our continuous on-boarding is a linear workflow in a board with automations to assigns the next (Person) when a status is completed. this process is done 4 times in our one single board. We’ve hid columns from others so that only the person responsible for a few set of columns is able to see such columns. For example (envision an excel sheet) Person 1 will do columns A - D with D being a column that will assign a person to complete columns E - G with G being the column that would assign a person to complete columns H - K. But none see the columns the others are responsible for :smile: ! hope this was useful :smiley:

Alex

1 Like

@alejencia Very nice; I personally really like the linear flow, and hidden columns is a great way to keep it clean for each “phase owner”.

1 Like

Yes Kacey! we were super happy when the feature to hide columns became available. The board I describe goes thru 5 phases (Recruitment and interviewing, teaching demo, hiring paperwork, account setup and training) all of which only certain staff member can see their own individual portions. This board I describe has 40 automations and about 45 columns. not overwhelming at all when viewed from different accounts. Since I’m admin and board owner I see all of them :smiley:

A bird’s eye view of 40 columns’ worth of info - the power is intoxicating, no?

:slight_smile: On a serious note, I’ve found that it’s really helpful to pop into boards like that from time to time and just see if there’s anywhere that the process commonly gets stuck. e.g. Are folks who own Phase 2 consistently forgetting to update the Status that triggers the assignment of Phase 3? Maybe a due date reminder could be useful for Phase 4, which is a longer phase? That type of thing.

2 Likes

Kacey,

Not intoxicating when you are part of the architect team and know every moving piece and every automation. It’s a linear workflow. from step 1 as column 1 and last step on column 40. Since it’s onboarding of new hires, everyone involved in this board knows exactly what needs to be done and everyone knows that if they want the flow to carry on, they must be fully responsible for their individual phases, everyone is too aware of what the board looks like from a board owners perspective and what others see and need to do. We had many meetings to get everyone up to speed and can tell you it’s a smooth well oiled machine that runs perfectly :smiley:

This is amazing @alejencia.

Would you be able to share some visual to go with your awesome set-up notes above? I think there’s a lot of us using Monday who would value this idea and would love to try it here! Thanks for being rad and for sharing your radness!

1 Like

@straister

My pleasure. I love the Monday.com community site. It has served many of us Monday.com users with inspiration.

Here is a super fast glance.

Phase 1: Hiring Managers enter the candidates information. Our instructors can have multiple wage rates depending on what they teach, to it is good to capture that on the onboarding process so that when we approve timesheets via ADP we know how much to pay. This screenshot shows you some of the basic columns we have for indicative data on the candidate we are looking to screen.

Phase 2: Hiring manager determines if we proceed with interview or not. The resume review column has about 7 different outcomes so I won’t bog down anyone on what each of those do, BUT, each have different automations. The simple flow is a hiring manager says YES the candidate is a go and they schedule an interview. When they schedule the interview our room coordinator gets notified and books a room for the interview, also, our budget analyst gets notified and calls the candidate to confirm the interview and then the interview date gets entered by the budget analyst. Some of our instructors need to perform a teaching demo and that also gets documented here.

Phase 3: Hiring paper work gets tracked when we make an offer and when the candidate accepts we begin account creations and training gets fully coordinated.

hope this was helpful! If you want more information on the automations, let me know. We currently have about 40 automations on this board what help things fly on auto mode.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hey, super interesting post thanks for sharing.

Here, at monday.com we started building our R&D onboarding templates for each one of our department using dedicated boards.

Our onboarding process is split into 3 different boards.

Manager onboarding template - Used by the manager, trainer, and HR

This board has 3 main goals

• Provide instructions and guidelines for how to build the employee onboarding board based on another template - Such as how to choose the first tasks, which person should the employee meet, what kind of videos should be part of the onboarding and so on.
  • Provide instructions for the manager for guidelines about the onboarding that must happen in order to emphasis. For example - Since we care about being connected to data and events, we want to make the manager talk with the employee about one of his feature in terms of data.
  • Contain checkpoints of feedback both by the HR, employee, and manager in order to give us feedback how the onboarding process works.

The template is based as a calendar for the first 3 months of the employee in which the manager should put the employee arrival data and then using dependency automation it synced all of the events that must happen relatively to the arrival date. Then using notification automation we make sure to get notified when something isn’t complete.

Employee onboarding template
Used by the employee and contains all the setup needed, materials such as videos, and the tasks that must be filled by the manager before arrival.
Another important part of the board that it includes knowledge items that the employee should learn during the first 3 months. This in order to be transparent on what we expect to learn during these months then it can be basis for communication of progress and expectation by the manager in order to see where and how we can help in the onboarding professional knowledge.

The template includes the first 4 weeks for the employee and split to 4 different kinds of items: Setup, Task, Learning, Knowledge. Also includes link for relevant resources.

Domain onboarding knowledge and resources

Till now, the above boards were generic for developer in the company. But we want to define levels of knowledge for each of our R&D teams based on 3 levels (Each level for each month in the onboarding) per domain (automation & integration, mobile, data, etc)
So we have another board for each domain that helps defined these levels of knowledge with domain’s relevant videos or other resources.

Here is an example for our platform team domain levels

Would love to get feedback, since it’s a work in progress and we continue improving it all the time.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for sharing this, was working around couple of ideas for setting the whole process together, this is very helpful!

Brand new to Monday.com, but finding great info. On this topic, I have created a list of training tasks that must be completed by each team member. Is there a way to have a list of people that are assigned to this task list, and track each individual’s progress?

Hey @Leombruno94 :wave:

Welcome to the Community!

I’d recommend checking out the Dashboards for all of your reporting needs.
This will allow you to take data from one board, or multiple boards, and view it in different ways via widgets.
You can also filter down the data per widget, to see each team members tasks and real time progress.

There are some specific widgets that you might find to be particularly helpful.
Below are some links to resources on the Dashboards themselves, reporting within monday, and some specific widgets that you might find useful!

I hope this helps!

Best,

Dani

I hope the answers in this thread are useful!
As we haven’t had any updates here, I’m going to go ahead and mark this thread as solved.
This means that the thread will close in 7 days time :slightly_smiling_face:

If you have any additional questions or you feel your original query wasn’t resolved, please feel free to let us know and we’ll be happy to continue to assist!

Best,

Dani

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.