If column is blank automation

We need automations that will trigger or not trigger if another column is blank

an automation may represent an item advanced or completed

a blank column may represent an item with missed data that should be addressed before an automation is triggered

notify or stop an automation if a column is blank

We need this too, also in formulas there is no treatment for null values.

1 Like

I’ve been hoping for this feature for a few years. Kind of like error checking on a web form.

For example, if I have a Gmail automation that is triggered by a status change and contains a name column in the mail body, there should be a check to see if the required columns are indeed populated. If not, than the user is notified and the automation/integration does not run.

This is required functionality for our company, so we are currently stepping into Integromat to send these emails, which is much more tedious than simply using the native Gmail integration.

I’m surprised this thread isn’t more popular.

Hi,

You can use =“” which represents blank.

For example, IF({Column name}=“”, “Yes”, “No”). All blank columns will show Yes.

great idea was hoping that this feature gets added any time soon

They are asking for the feature within an automation. The “and only if…” options are limited to person, number, dropdown, status, or group. The “number meets condition” one is strictly for the Numbers column type, not Formulas unfortunately.

Hi Sabine.
Actually, the formula columns that you create with this formula will show yes or no, not the columns themselves.
I too am looking for a way to use the formulas to create a stop for an automation trigger. I have tried using the formulas in a single step, but believe that having a single formula for each column that needs to be checked will create the specificity that I need. Basing each column off of a different number will allow error messages pertaining to each column to be sent out if they are missing.