Impossible to set alerts based on a formula value

Hi all,
currently I’m trying to use a formula’s value in a sub-item (date format) to set an automatic notification. Unfortunatelly it’s impossible to use formulas in the automations, so we tried to use ‘General Caster’ as a workaround, but it didn’t work neither since it can’t be used on sub-items.
Does anybody know a solution to this problem? Will there be a new version of Monday in which it will be possible to use formula’s values in the automations?
Thanks a lot,
Paolo

@paolo.bonino

I might be able to help. Can you give more details about the specific situation?

Jim - The Monday Man (YouTube Channel)
What is Make & How can it help you?
We Create Custom Solutions
Schedule a 1-on-1 Tutorial Session (for monday, Make & “Mountains v. Beaches”)

Hi Jim,
first of all thank for the reply.
This is the issue in a nutshell:

• every item refers to a project
  • every sub item is a step of the project with it’s name, owner, timeline and specific requirements. Each one of these sub-item have a starting date that is manually set and a duration (expressed in days) → the completion date is automatically set through a formula that adds the duration (working days) to the starting date.
  • Our team needs a notification/alert 2 days before the completion date

It’s impossible to use formula columns in the automations and General Caster doesn’t work on sub items.
Is the problem more clear now? do you know how we can proceed?
Thansk a million,
Paolo

@paolo.bonino

I’m glad I asked…

You can do that with a simple custom automation. No formula:

Jim - The Monday Man (YouTube Channel)
What is Make & How can it help you with monday?
We Create Custom Solutions
Schedule a 1-on-1 Tutorial Session (for monday, Make & “Why the Sky is Blue”)

Yes I know I can do that, but what if the subitem date is calculated with a formula?
If it was a simple date there would have been no problems, but formula columns can’t be used in the automation, that’s the whole point.
thanks

1 Like

@paolo.bonino

I missed seeing that the second date needed a formula. On option you might consider is Make. Think of it as a tool that does everything monday automations COULD do if all the limitations were removed. You can find out more here: What is Make & How can it help you with monday?