Include contact name in an email?

I have a board with a connected column to a Contacts board. I want to use an automation to send an email to the contact.

There is not a way to simply include the contact’s name in the email? Like:

Dear John Smith

The Contact field does not appear in the list of fields I can embed in the email. I tried to create a mirror column, but the name is not one of the columns I can mirror. And I can’t create an automation to copy the name into a text field. I can have a formula field that gets the contact name, but it doesn’t allow me to include a formula field in the email.

That seems extremely limiting.

Hi@jdenicola,
You could use the Make integration to create a custom automation that pulls the contact’s name from the connected column and sends it in an email.
When a new item is created on your monday.com board, Make could be triggered to send an email to the contact’s email address. The email would include the contact’s name, which would be pulled from the connected column on monday.com.

For further implementation details kindly connect us:
MSquare Support
Visit us here
Youtube Channel

I was able to get this to kind of work by mirroring the Email of the Contact field to another column, and in the Contact, put the name in the “Add text to display” associated with the email address. It’s a duplicate of the name fields, but it will work.

In an automation, the mirrored email address field results in this:

Madison Doyle - mdoyle@email.com

There is a variable in the board items you can use in the email body. Although the naming is a bit kludge… It looks like the first column of every board is basically an index column with the variable name of Item Name. The actual variable name in the email body may be something like {pulse.name}. Whatever is in that column will display. If it’s first name and last name it will include all but it you have separate columns for first and last name you would need to include two vaiables from your board.

That’s not what I mean.

Create a board, and have one of the columns be linked to the Contacts board.

Create an automation to send an email and in the email, try to add a field from the Contacts - the fields from the Contact are all there EXCEPT the contact’s name.