Issue with automatically creating subitems?

Hi,
I have a board set up with 3 groups. Two of these groups I want to implement subitems through automation.

First I used: When item is moved to board, create sub item. This of course resulted in every group getting subitems.
I then used custom automation to create: When an item is moved to “Group”, create a sub item.

The issue I’m having is when I move items from another board, to mentioned board within respective group, the automation does not trigger. Is this a bug, or if not, is there a way to fix it?

Thanks,
Simen

Hi Simen,

I guess when you move an item from another board it doesn’t count as an Item creation, as therefor doesn’t trigger the automation. It seems like logical behavior, programming-wise, but indeed partially misses the mark on what users could consider as an item creation.

Marc

I agree. From what I have excperienced while playing around, is that it seems like it’s only triggering if it’s moved to a group within the board. So internal moving will activating the automation, but not between boards as I’m trying to achieve.

Quite a bummer, would be nice to control which groups get affected by it.

@Simen,

One alternative could be to have the move to the board go to a “landing group”. Then you could use a second automation to move it to the proper group. If the existing item information does not sufficiently define which group it should go to, you could create an additional status column to control the group.

Jim

Hi @Simen :wave:

As @Marc1 and @JCorrell have mentioned, if you’re moving the item from another board, it’s not possible at the moment to have these subitems created based on the specific group you’re moving them to.
You would either need to have them added to all groups on the board, or to move the items to a default group before moving them within the board.

I know that neither of these are an ideal solution for what you’re looking to achieve here.
I can definitely appreciate how this would be a useful addition to the platform for yourself, and I’m sure for other teams too, so I would highly recommend opening a thread in our Feature Request section.
Here other users who would also like this added to the platform will be able to upvote the feature!
You can find this here: Submit an Idea - monday Community Forum

I hope this helps! Remember to mark as solved if this answers your question :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Best,
Dani

Thanks to both you Dani, and @JCorrell for your answers! I settled with manually moving them from board to board. Even though that creates more subitems than I would want, it’s still a solution that works. I will see if I can compose something worthy of recommending. Have a nice day!

Simen

Hey @Simen,

Glad you were able to find a workaround that works for you here!
Please do feel free to share with us your workflow for others to learn from :partying_face:

Let us know if there’s anything else we can do for you!

Best,

Dani

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.