Live Updates between duplicated items

Hello,

We use our Monday.com to track several facets of our business, Primarily scheduling sub-contractors and tracking where they are going and when. This said often times a person may work a different shift then originally scheduled.

Currently this process starts in our scheduler’s workspace on a scheduling “Hub” board. Once the information is completely filled out and the shift has been “Confirmed” the shifts status is changed to confirmed which triggers the item to be duplicated in two other workspaces.

First it is created in an open workspace where all staff members are able to see the accumulated shifts that are scheduled on their own board. (We currently use this as a middle ground page to make “Edits” in shift changes). There is also other information available in this section for those who use it.

Second it is created in a Back-office workspace on a Payroll tracking Board where we track the final stages of the process and confirm that shifts were worked and ensure payment.

All of this said. I have not been able to find an automation or set up that would allow the two items created to be linked so that if a change is made to the item on the Open Workspace board THAT change would be automatically made on the duplicate that is in the Back Office workspace and board as well without having to be manually changed.

All of this said there are a variety of columns in use across all workspaces in each item that we create as a “Shift”.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

Hi @John.Corbly7 - this is a common roadblock for these kinds of designs, this is due to the two items are seen as independent. Have you considered utilizing connected boards and mirrored columns to facilitate seeing the data in various places? You could also look into the Vlookup app to help solve this.

Additionally, once you have your boards connected, you can use the Conversations app to keep updates in synch across the items.

If you have more in-depth design questions feel free to reach out any time.
Mark

Mark,

Thank you for your reply to my post. I have considered using the Mirror columns with connect boards to attempt to mirror the information from one board to the next however I have not figured out how exactly to do so when working with boards across workspaces. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

John

Green Llamas mark.anley monday.com Partner
December 18

Hi @John.Corbly7 - this is a common roadblock for these kinds of designs, this is due to the two items are seen as independent. Have you considered utilizing connected boards and mirrored columns to facilitate seeing the data in various places? You could also look into the Vlookup app to help solve this.

Additionally, once you have your boards connected, you can use the Conversations app to keep updates in synch across the items.

If you have more in-depth design questions feel free to reach out any time.
Mark

Green Llamas

monday.com + Green Llamas

Green Llamas is here to help you make all your People and Projects Green. Let us get your herds under control using the monday.com platform.

Hi @John.Corbly7 - there should be not limitations to mirroring/connected boards across Workspaces, unless there are specific permissions introduced to not allow this (private workspaces in Enterprise, etc). Could you offer some additional information to the issues you are seeing and I’d be happy to assist.

Thanks!
Mark

I am going to work through this again now that I am a bit more experienced and make sure that I used the mirror columns correctly. Thank you for all of your input, I will certainly post here with my results however Monday.com updates are only one of my responsibilities so it may take some time for me to work through this once more. Thank you all again and I will keep this post updated!

John Corbly

Thank you for all of your assistance on this matter. I believe I have it mostly figured out. However I would like to ask if you have a formula in mind in order to divide one column’s individual readings by 8 in order to convert an “Hour” Column to a “Shift” column?

Thanks in advance!

John

I actually used DIVIDE({hours}, 8) and it is working perfectly fine.

One final issue I am having is it seems that I can only edit the “Text or Number” entries on the first two “Boards” but not on the applicable columns of the final board. Not absolutely necessary but it is nice to be able to make edits from each view. Any input or thoughts on what might be blocking such would be greatly apprecated.

Thank you

John