Moving an Item in one Board, Moves Linked Item in another Board

Not the hugest deal, but wondering if it would be possible to set up somewhat of an extension of this automation:

On top of creating the item in another board, would it be possible that if the copied item is moved to another group in the second board, the original item also moves to the same group? Of course this is contingent on the boards more-or-less being mirrors of each other, which is true in our case (we do this because they house different information and one works as the main link to many other boards). Right now we manually update the movements between the 2 boards.

This is my first post and I did do a search for a similar topic, so Iā€™m sorry if I didnā€™t do something correctly or missed a similar topic somewhere. Thank you!

Hey @jaykjapra! This is a fantastic idea - our product team is aware of the ability to support mirror columns within automations but we are still evaluating the impact and effort behind that since as mirrors the data doesnā€™t live on the board itself but rather on the source board. We are constantly adding more features and options that you can follow at monday.com Work OS: the visual platform that manages everything! Cheers!

One solution could be some rules along the lines of " If x in this board do y in that board"

ā€œIf Status changes to Done, change Status on [item] in [board]ā€

Including maybe the ability to trigger a rule in another board?

ā€œIf status changes to Done, trigger [rule] in [board] with Doneā€
and/or
ā€œIf status changes to Anything, trigger [rule] in [board] with [thisStatus]ā€

1 Like

Further thoughts based on discussion with my team - I may have been trying to set mine up wrong.

The way weā€™ve ended up designing it, the mirror column is in the child board and is used to show the status from the parent. This way when you want to move the item on to the next step you can change the status in the mirror column. This of course triggers the automation in the parent etc.

The other change to how I had been thinking about it is - rather than the item progressing from (say) Issues, to Dev, to Testing, then to Docs in a cascading chain of parent / child boards - we now have 1 parent and then a series of child boards.

An item is created in ā€˜Issuesā€™, assigned etc, then item is created in ā€˜Devā€™ (with mirror column). When devs are done with it, itā€™s marked as ā€œIn Testingā€, which creates another item (based on the original ā€˜Issueā€™ item) in ā€˜Testingā€™.

Weā€™re probably going to be putting this together today and maybe some testing over the next few days / week. When weā€™ve got a thing, I might make a post as an example / template (if anyone would find that helpfulā€¦)

1 Like

Nice thoughts, i would like to see the outcome of it. Thanks