New automation condition: When column is empty

This is so wildly helpful and is going to solve for a handful of issues I’ve been running into lately cross-functionally.

Bianca, I do have a question for you: I’m noticing that I can’t have this automation detect if a File column is empty, it seems? Why is that?

If you take a look at my screenshot here, our board has a “Final Script” column between “Messaging Points/Notes” and “Is Live Ad Read”, but it’s not coming up as an option to select.

Hey Sami, thanks for raising this. I have spoken with the team who clarified that the file column isn’t currently supported as an option for this condition just yet. The team are working to support all columns, however I am unable to confirm an eta just yet. I will keep you in the loop when more information is shared :pray:

1 Like

Amazing. This will definitely reduce a lot of hassle and will give more control over missed info scenarios. Thank you Monday Dev Team.

1 Like

Thank you for your positive feedback Zaki! We will share this with our team internally :blush:

1 Like

Hi everyone!

I wanted to let you know that the automation has been improved to included the following columns, previously unsupported:

• File
  • World Clock
  • Rating

We hope this is a welcomed update for you all :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @BiancaT,

When will subitems with a file column be supported?

Hey Devin! We don’t currently have concrete plans to roll this out to subitems, that said, the team will monitor incoming requests and consider future developments. Thanks for your understanding :pray:

supporting subitems, that’s i need to my board :smiley:

1 Like

Hi Bianca! This is a change as early November this was coming within weeks. Is that no longer the case?

Why not roll it out to subitems? Clearly its been possible to create subitem aware conditions because the subitem status columns are available as a conditional. It should be entirely possible to add the subitem columns to the bottom of the columns list in the empty conditional. Its possible to do it on the columns field already on the trigger.

That monday consistently chooses not to support subitems adequately across its platform while advancing flashy “AI” efforts is a slap in the face, and sends the message that only new features which can result in a press release to get picked up by blogs and tech outlets matter. Long term this kind of behavior will erode customer trust in monday.com - and in fact I believe has by sending the message that the overall health of the platform is less important than immediate stock price. Your paying customers should be driving the platform, not hedge fund managers.

1 Like

Hey @codyfrisch, @marciosato and @Devin.T,

My apologies for the conflicting responses I provided regarding subitems! I did receive confirmation that this feature was going to be rolled out to subitems, which regretfully has recently has been redacted… I have followed up with the product manager in charge about this and will provide a confirmed answer as soon as possible. I appreciate your understanding and patience with me as I investigate :pray:

1 Like

Hi Bianca! Do you know if the Recurring category will support the “column is empty” condition?

For example: I would like to have a weekly recurring automation to notify the person assigned to an item if a column is empty. I tried to create this using “every time period” but could not add the ‘column is empty’ condition to it.

Thank you!

1 Like

Hey Maria, thanks for your patience - I apologise for my late reply!

At this stage, I don’t believe we have concrete plans but if anything is made known to me I will certainly share the update here. Thanks for your understanding!

1 Like

Is it possible to have an automation trigger when a column changes only if it was previously empty?
Ex: Move Item from Group A to B when column is filled in (changes from empty to not empty), but not if the data in the column simply changes.

That would be the “if column is empty” condition here. Once its filled in, the automation would no longer trigger. The only exception would be if you then cleared the column using “clear column”

1 Like

Can we have an update on when this will be available for subitems?

1 Like

Hi @BiancaT, Do you have any new about when this feature will be rolled out to subitems?

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your patience with us :pray:

I’ve heard back from our product team who have communicated that we plan to support sub items in the condition by end of Q1 - your patience with us is always appreciated.

2 Likes

Great, I’m so excited! It’ll be a real game changer for our company.

1 Like