New Timeline column version doesn't let easily change the start or the end date

Something changed with the Timeline column over the past few weeks and instead of letting me separatly choose the start and end date, I have to always select the start and the end date even if I only want to change the end date. That’s quite annoying if the timeline spans over many months.

Or maybe I just don’t know how to use the new Timeline column version, it’s not so intuitive.

Hey, you’re right. They’ve changed it and didn’t tell us. I cannot see any reason for the change. It’s now harder to use.

It used to work perfectly with the arrows: a) choose Start then End or b) choose Start and End independently depending on which arrow you clicked - handy for quickly changing the End date.

Now the arrows have gone. So, wherever we click on the bar in the Timeline column, we always start at the Start date. Then we have to click through to the End date - which could be 12 months or more away. Much slower.

To add to the mystery, Monday’s support page still shows the arrows. See “Shift your timeline by “X” days”

Why was this changed and made harder to use? Why not tell us it was changing? Or is it as bug?

Can you help @Julia-monday.com?

4 Likes

This could be a serious problem…
any help?

OK, I contacted Monday Support directly about this.

They said the arrows were removed because they confused other users. Monday.com believe the removal of the arrows enhances the user experience.

I disagree.

I said this now makes an established feature harder to use due to lots more clicking required to edit End Dates.

Regrettably, there was no prior notice or consultation with existing users who rely on the arrows for an efficient workflow.

I have asked for the arrows to be reinstated - or at least made a preference - ASAP so that End Dates can again be edited easily.

7 Likes

I think these changes must be notified inmediately, same thing happen with the Bolt-Switch when it was moved to a non-sense location, loosing his main feature,

We resolved this with the hotkey CTRL+B, but monday.com has to make better the communications in order to avoid this to happen again…

1 Like

Agreed.

Hopefully Monday.com take note of these comments and stop moving features around - or removing them - without advance notice.

We have teams of people using these features daily and I become the default Helpdesk when things suddenly change - or worse, disappear. It’s time consuming sorting it out when I have other things to do.

Please Monday.com, listen to your users.

2 Likes

For me, this is a terrible change. Now when I need to change an end date, I have to first go back and update the start date. This is an unnecessary step on items that span many months. Not a good experience.

3 Likes

Commenting to raise visibility.

3 Likes

@Monday.com Please change this behaviour back to how it used to be.

Or at least give us the option to toggle the arrows on or off.

3 Likes

This way it is inconvenient indeed, for me as well.

I would be happy if I could get the “end date - start date arrows” by using the ctrl or shift keys. (even with pointing to the timeline column)
I just don’t want to set start date / or end date over and over again.

2 Likes

Almost 3 years later and no response any Monday.com staff…

This seems like a no-brainer. I have close to a hundred projects that needs to have their timeline dates altered to show a different end date only - but I have to reselect the start date, then click however many times to get to the end date month. This seems counter-intuitive, especially for a system that is intended to make our processes more efficient.

2 Likes

I have found the easiest way to modify the timeline column dates is to use the Timeline view with the Split View setting. That way I have the Timeline view on top and the regular table view below that.

Oliver,

That sounds interesting. Could you show us a screenshot of this?

Also, would information still be able to populate a Gantt chart (requires a timeline field, as far as I know).

Thanks for your reply!

If you are only changing the end-dates in the Timeline you can add a duration column connected to the Timeline columns and adjust this instead. Alternatively, you can always use the shift option when selecting multiple items and updating the timeline (assuming they move by a uniform number of days).

Hi, I appreciate your input…
Unfortunately, our dates change often and not in a uniform method.
Thank you though!

The Timeline view is accessible from “More views”

Then open the widget in full screen mode to access the split screen view.

While doing this example I noticed that Monday has changed the Timeline view as well. Apparently I have an older version of the view which I use. For me the view is a regular view not a dashboard. If I would lose my current old views then it would make my Monday user experience much worse.