Precision of Location Column

I have a bunch of items that have locations that are tens of metres apart. Their “address” is a geographic coordinate in latitude and longitude in decimal degrees. However, when these items plot on the Map view, they all bunch up in the same location, 50 - 100m away from where I would expect it to be.

What I’m seeing:

Where these points should be plotting:

Can you confirm the precision of the link between my Location pulse and Google Maps? I know that Google Maps itself can handle precision to much more than I am seeing on my Map View, so I presume it to be an rounding/truncating issue between Monday.com passing the information to Google Maps. It really looks like Monday.com is somehow rounding the coordinate off at two or three decimal places, and it really needs to be closer to 5 decimal places for my purposes.

Can this be fixed?

3 Likes

I’ve run into another segment of the problem. It seems that perhaps rather than rounding to a certain number of decimal places in Decimal Degrees, it may be trying to force the coordinate to the nearest road. This isn’t going to work for me. The locations are geographic for a reason, and shouldn’t be snapping to the nearest address–it’s a coordinate I’m looking for, not a road.

Is there any way that this can be fixed? I just want my geographic coordinates to plot on the given coordinate, period.

3 Likes

hey @MSIlydia - to best support when you have issues with the platform make sure to email us at support@monday.com with as much information as possible.

Keep in mind that we do make use of Google’s API. You can compare these coordinates on Google maps to see what is the result that is given.

1 Like

Thanks, Bradley. I have sent a request to support@monday.com.

As I said, Google Maps itself will deal with the locations more precisely than Monday.com does:

GoogleMaps:

Monday.com (forces it to the nearest address or road):

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! My team over on support will document it so we can share it with out developers.

1 Like

@bradley has there been any followup on this one?

1 Like

@morhriveion - I would email support@monday.com so we can follow up.

I have not heard concrete feedback on this issue, and we have discontinued using the location column in Monday, for now.

It is unfortunate—it could be very helpful for visualizing—but unfortunately it simply does not meet our needs with the “nearest road” feature convoluting the precision of the latitude/longitude.

@bradley I do not have a use case that requires private attention. I am curious how the platform handles visualization of coordinates. Per the above, there is a chance of alignment/precision issues that I would like to understand at the general level so that I can better understand platform limitations.

it seems this has been quite low on the list of priorities for monday to fix everything connected to the locations columns. its not only that precision is not good its also that you cant change the column value via api as far as I see

Yes, it is a short-coming.

Our use-case would have thousands of latitude/longitude locations, but currently those would all need to be copied/pasted individually…not efficient. Neither importing by excel (not preferable) not import via API (much preferable) seems to be currently available.