Problem when moving an item between boards using an automation

When I use an automation to move an item from BoardA to BoardB, there is a “Connect to board” column in Board A that can be mapped in the item section of the automation. That column won´t move to BoardB.
I tried also with a Formula Column and it can´t me mapped either.

Hi @agiron - as long as the connect boards column is named the same in Board B and is mapped to the same board as in Board A the connection will remain when you move the item via Automation. As for formula columns, those are calculated on the client side on the fly, so as long as you have another Formula column in Board B with the same formula as Board A, it will work.

Thanks,
Mark

1 Like

Thank you very much Mark! I’ll try following your advice…

1 Like

Hi Green Llamas

I seem to have a similar issue but the update is not happening for me. The issue is described as fully as I can below:

I set up the Leads board to include a mirrored column called “Reseller” to the Accounts board. This links to the Accounts board using the name column to allow the user to select an active Account as a Reseller in the Leads board.

I then have an automation set up to copy information from the Leads board to the Deals board once a Lead is qualified. The Deals board also has a column called “Reseller” which is a mirrored column to the Accounts board for the account name - same as Leads.

When I run this automation to create the item in Deals, the Reseller column in Leads is not copied over to the Reseller column in Deals.

Hi @James.Deguara - if you are creating a new item via automation in the Deals board, the connection will not automatically come across as its seen as a new entity at this time. If you were to move the item it would retain its connections.

To make this work, you will need to send across a value from the source board that can be used to match a value on the Accounts board (and not a mirror column). Then you can use the following automation to create the connection:

Hope this helps,
Mark

@James.Deguara Another strategy might be to duplicate an item, then move it to the other board. While it has limitations (it moves the original item, and its updates - and leaves the new item without updates) this is another method. That said the app Update Magic in the marketplace has an action that duplicates an item with updates. Yes, I am affiliated with the developer. Using the Update Magic method your item on the target board will also contain the original updates (but the updates will diverge from there).

Many thanks to both @codyfrisch and @mark.anley for your input on this. I actually tried out both solutions and settled on the solution proposed by Green Llamas. It is a round about way of doing things but works so great!

The duplication solution also works but leaves you with a (number of) “copy” suffix(es) being appended to the item name which you will need to install an add “Update Magic” to remove. I did not like this solution personally. Also the action here creates new records and I was worried that I would lose traceability in the updates section.

I also looked into the solution proposed by @basdebruin and the team Excellent. Very honorable mention as this team was very helpful in getting me to understand what their MIC app does. In this end I did not see much improvement over the solution I arrived at.

All mentioned above were very helpful so thanks to all for your assistance.

1 Like

Hi @agiron , since it looks like you are syncing specific columns only, I have a suggestion. You can have that item live on another board and sync only the columns you want. Try installing this and let us know what you think.

https://monday.com/marketplace/10000363