Recurring meeting on Last Thursday of the Month (etc...)

I have been able to follow the tutorials to create automations for tasks that occur weekly, monthly, etc but one feature that would be really useful is being able to create an automation that repeats a meeting for a specific day of the week (ie. 2nd Friday, last Thursday) etc. Because these meeting are not always X number of days, weeks, or months apart, I have not been able to figure out the “Push Date” option that would correctly perform this automation.

Has anyone figured out any workaround for a repeat task like this?

Hi @SY444 - welcome to the community!

This functionality is not available at this time and is certainly something we have struggled with. We have gotten around this (sort of) in the past by utilizing an apps like General Caster to cast formulas to date columns.

As an example, if you had a set meeting for the last Thursday of each month, you could have a standard automation that creates a new item each month then have general caster run a formula and cast it to a date column on item creation:

FORMAT_DATE(EOMONTH(TODAY(),0)+1-WEEKDAY(EOMONTH(TODAY(),0)+1-4,2))

The bolded “4” is to denote the day of the week. 1=Monday, 2=Tuesday…7=Sunday. You can follow this logic along and make adjustments depending on whats needed.

Not perfect, but it can be a bridge.

Thanks!
Mark
Book a Support Session

1 Like

Thanks for the tip on general caster. It looks like they have an example similar to this at the bottom of this idea list: General Caster > Ideas for setting a meeting to the first Monday of the Month.

Suggested Formula
TEXT(DATE(YEAR(TODAY()), MONTH(TODAY()), 7) - WEEKDAY(DATE(YEAR(TODAY()), MONTH(TODAY()), 7), 3), “YYYY-MM-DD”)

When I try the suggested formula it ends up setting the date to the first Monday of the current month (ie. Oct 4th) which has already passed. Do you know how I would modify this to have it populate the date of the first Monday for next month (ie. Nov 1st)?

Hi @SY444 - thanks for sharing, cool that the formula was right there on GCs site :slight_smile:
This should do the trick for you:

TEXT(DATE(YEAR(TODAY()), MONTH(EDATE(TODAY(),1)), 7) - WEEKDAY(DATE(YEAR(TODAY()), MONTH(EDATE(TODAY(),1)), 7), 3), “YYYY-MM-DD”)

Thanks for the assist @rob
Mark

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.