[RELEASED] `parent_item` Field When Querying Subitems

:sparkles::sparkles:Hi everyone,

I’m so pleased to announce that we now have a parent_item field for our subitems!

As many of you know, before this addition you could query your subitem column values and you could query the subitem column in your parent items to see your subitem IDs, but there was no direct link between the two. In order to match the relevant subitem column values with the correct parent item them, this required a manual searching mechanism created by individual developers to match subitem IDs together.

However, with the addition of this new parent_item field, you will be able to query your subitem column values and also be able to see the relevant parent item information for this subitem!

Here is an example of how to use this field:

query {
  boards(ids: 'YOUR_SUBITEM_BOARD_ID'){
    items{  // all of the subitems on your subitem board
      id  // your subitem IDs
      parent_item {
        id  // the parent item IDs for each subitem
        column_values {  // the column values of your parent items
          id
          value
        }
      }
    }
  }
}

Keep in mind that because querying subitems currently follows the same structure as querying parent items (i.e. you need to first find your subitem board ID, then use that subitem board ID to query your subitems normally), if you use the parent_item field on a parent item, the result will be null.

Check out our updated API documentation on this method here.

We hope this aids in your subitem queries. As always, let us know your thoughts on this new field.

Happy building!

3 Likes

This is great. Can it also be used in a formula column in sub item? This would help as want to create some text entries which includes some data from the parent.

Hello there @Paul_K!

The formula column is not supported by our API as of today.

Cheers,
Matias

Hi
Using Zapier for integration. When I look at subitems I cannot see the parent id - am I missing something?

Hello @Paul_K!

On our end, I am afraid we do not offer support for clients using external tools like Zapier.

I suggest you reach out to Zapier’s support team about this.

If Zapier’s team asks for any information from our platform to troubleshoot this, please send an email to appsupport@monday.com so that we can send that to you.

Cheers,
Matias

Hi Matias,

Surely it is Monday.com that provides the API that Zapier uses.

This is what monday API returns when Zapier uses the “Specific Column Value Changed in Board” Trigger. Does this call need to be updated to make the parent id visible.

Hi Helen.

I have simple question. I have 1 parent board and subitem inside.

I want to query parent board 1 table and subitem board with parent’s ID 1 table.

I want to connect to Power BI. I follow this PowerBI/Monday.com M Query at 308233441ac17b72e817280753eb3bc6d6b18ddb · DataMuallem/PowerBI · GitHub and it can connect api but don’t have parent id and don’t have subitem list.

How can I do that ? I don’t have basic coding so can you share me some example.

I just upgrade plan to Pro and I really want to use this api data and I’m hopeless.

Thank you very much.

Hi @suriyapong!

Have you turned on Developer Mode on your account? This will make IDs visible on your account and be helpful for your queries.

Board IDs can also be found in the URL of your board, for example: https://yourboard.monday.com/boards/189800300

To make your first request, please see our Make your First Request guide for a step by step explanation.

Let us know if you have any questions!