Reporting and tracking an active formula's value over time

Hi! Got an enigma for the formula wizards on here. I currently have a formula column that, based on a number of factors, continuously changes throughout the day as an item is updated. Then, in the chart view, I can see the sum of those numbers per person and, for context, have a unique way of tracking my team’s workload.

The good news is that the numbers stay super-current. The bad news is that I don’t have a way to record what those numbers have been in the past. So, what I’m trying to do is find a way to “snapshot” these formula sums once a day and record what that value was at a moment in time. I can then create a history for anyone to reference.

My best solution involves an automation creating a new item every day on another board. There would be a column with each person’s name and the snapshot value under it that I could track.

However, aside manually inputting those values in every day (which I would DEFINITELY like to avoid because I could never go on vacation), I can’t figure out a way to automate those snapshots and create a rolling record of those formula values. Anyone on here have any ideas?

Happy to help or answer any questions. Thanks in advance!

• Andrew

Hi Andrew!

Did you end up finding a solution to this issue?

I have not yet. Right now, my workaround is a dashboard that shows me info from one board that I can manually input into another, creating that history I talked about. Would LOVE to have it automated one day.

Filthy workaround idea here… but could you possibly have automation set up to export or email the values at the end of each day… and then some sort of manner of automation used to then import them to the new board? I hate having to think about this because there isn’t an actual in-app way to do it.

My initial thought was to use ‘every time period’ to kick out an update or email with the desired values, or possibly a slack message (if integrated), and then somehow have that loop back around to an import of data? Briefly thinking about it, I can’t quite picture a clean way of it though.

A really dumb way would be to somehow kick out the data to something like jira with specific values, and then via integration create a new item in the desired board… Or oh man… have it kick out an email to you every time period containing the values somewhere (possibly multiple emails…) followed by corresponding integration that creates a new item in a group when you receive an email from Monday that meets the right criteria… I haven’t played with the outlook integrations too much, but I know it can kick out emails on a specific cadence, and create items in a group when an email is received.