Sort by for Dropdown list

Hi there,
I have a huge list of suppliers, I would like to edit easily and sort my dropdown list in alphabetical order.
Is this possible? Can we edit somewhere all our items for each type of column?
Thank you,
Céline.

3 Likes

I’ve asked this same question to support and was told that this feature is not yet available. I would love a way to alphabetize and mass edit a dropdown column as my team uses it for our customers. I was able to alphabetize the list in excel and then copy and paste it into my board. However, the new dropdown entries I add will not be alphabetized.

6 Likes

@cfraticelli Damned! But thank you for your time :slight_smile:
I hope they will implement that soon.

2 Likes

Please add this! In fact, could you just make the dropdown labels display alphabetically by default? The inability to order the dropdown labels is a frustrating limitation. The dropdown performs a function that can’t quite be replicated by the status column (too few options) or tag column (tags are too global and easy-to-edit).

8 Likes

Agreed. Very frustrating. Monday.com please add.

4 Likes

New Monday trial user here.

For this reason alone, we may stop our entire company from switching over to Monday as we use dropdown list extensively.

I’m shocked that for a feature that is so basic is not implemented yet. Does anyone know if this will be a permanent limitation?

1 Like

Also I have two suggestions and a bug I have already reported.

1. Dropdown by its nature should be only one choice, and checkbox should be multiple choice.
  2. It should put in settings of the dropdown to sort entries of choices by alphabetical order or by entry order.

Now to a bug problem: I have created a Board with form view to collect NGO members applications. I used that board only for applying to the NGO, verifying entries, and duplicated board structure to move verified entries to Board 2 which was verified members board. I have copied the cities list and paste to a dropdown column. I have probably pasted null value with 500 cities, and something happened with cities entries. After I moved pulses to Board 2 I have lost all the cities data from the dropdown column. And after a while my board was nonresponsive to new form entries and to edit cities (dropdown column)

2 Likes

@nikolamujdzic Am I understanding you correctly?

• Dropdown should be used for one choice

• Checkbox is multiple choice

• Status- can only be used for one choice

This seems backward to me based on my personal workflow.

I need dropdown to be used for multiple items but also dynamic so I can add data later on. This is where sorting is key.

A way around this would be to add another board with all of those options but unfortunately, you can’t submit a form with a Link to Item column, yet so this takes this option out for me.

Statuses are very limited on colors (30 max) , and since we can’t do Link to Item, the dropdown is the only option left.

That seems to be a very difficult thing to get around for my workflow and maybe others as well.

1 Like

It would be very useful to be able to rearrange the order of dropdown items, just as you rearrange the status column! We continously create new items, but do not follow the logical order they should be in.

Thanks for considering!

4 Likes

Just wanted to add my voice to the request to be able to reorder labels, or at the very least, have them automatically read alphabetically. This would be incredibly helpful.

3 Likes

Bump. This should be a basic feature.

We absolutely need to be able to have the drop down options presented alphabetically as a start. Being able to arrange the order would be even better. Monday.com competitors offer this - please add.

It looks amateurish in forms to not have the options in a logical order and takes time for our team to find the right options internally. A huge time waste!

5 Likes

Requesting this feature in 2021. This is important for our work request forms.

1 Like

Monday, are you listening? Please add this feature. It looks like it started in 2019. I haven’t seen anyone from Monday’s team even respond to this thread.

I will keep this cause going by adding to this thread. Not just for dropdown lists, but also for status columns as well. On several boards I will have a pretty big list of statuses, and it stinks to move them around manually.

1 Like

Agree on the need to provide by default the list alphabetically, though allowing the flexibility to drag and reorder a list, as you can within the Status feature would be extra useful.

Checking today it appears the list ordered alphabetically is now available! Great news. Already helping. :smiley:

I can’t find the option to sort the dropdown list items alphabetically?

Ok, so on the items board it appears in order when selecting a country. However, when you edit the options it’s still not in alphabetical order. Also, I use a project request form, and the dropdown options there are not in order either, just in order of time created. This needs to be fixed asap, it is very annoying.

Hi all!

You should be able to sort the dropdown column in alphabetical order using the sort feature, and saving the sort as a new view:

From there, all items should appear in the correct order based upon the alphabetical order of the dropdown values.

You also have the ability to save the sorted view as the default board view: