Standardize Files tab and column

It is frustrating to my team that the files in the Files column and the Files tab (when you’ve clicked on updates) are distinct. Can you please make it automatic that files added to one place populate in the other?

Hey @JSparacino,

If you select the option to upload to File gallery the file will upload to both the gallery and the column.

Additionally, when uploading files to the files column, they should upload to the gallery by default. Please let me know if this isn’t the case for you!

Hi, @BiancaT,

This isn’t working for me. Files uploaded to the Column do appear in the Gallery, but those uploaded to the Gallery are not in the Column.

Is there a setting for this?

Alternately, is there a way to set Column as the default destination, even when uploading via the Item Page?

(My intent is to get notifications when files are uploaded, but the Automation can only be tied to the Column, correct?)

Thanks!

Hi @Ericalm!

Hmm, so even when uploading via this option the files do not appear in the files column?

If not can you please check via the files gallery settings?

l am interested if this ^^ will also answer your question to set the files column as that default destination for you? Even when they’re uploaded from the updates section?

Let me know :slight_smile:

Hi Bianca,

The specific steps you outlined seems to be working for us. However, our issue isn’t with uploading files. We are heavy users of the link and Google drive functions of the files column. Currently the files gallery does not support anything that isn’t an upload.

We want people linking as much as possible, especially using our Google drive connection, instead of uploading files. However, these are never reflected in any of the file galleries. (see screenshot attached). Plus, if someone uploads via the files gallery and doesn’t realize there are two options, now files live in multiple places for 1 item. It’s a really confusing and frustrating experience.

Ideally the files gallery automatically reflects the column. Though, we’re also interested in being able to remove the files gallery from the item view. It’s a default item page view with no ability to remove.

Thank you!
Jessica

Screenshot 2023-04-12 at 15.29.00|690x352