Target Specific Issues with Automation

Hello, I tried to search for this and can’t seem to determine how to get a particular scenario working

I have a board level automation reading

3 days before Due Date arrives and Status is not Done notify Owner

What i need to do is set different reminders for different issues. Some things I want reminders 7 days before for example and others 10. It seems I can only make a reminder that applies to every issue in the board. Any work arounds?

Something like this?
**3 days before Due Date ** arrives on Something and Status is not Done notify Owner

1 Like

Hey @ladieu, welcome to the community!

I’d love to learn a bit more about your workflow. Why do you want to have some notifications 3 days before some due dates and 10 days before others? Are they for different categories/types of issues?

If so, I wonder if you could use more status labels to differentiate and trigger the automation only for specific items, and not across the entire board. What do you think?

I have some requests from my PM group on how to deal with certain things. Here is a list… I would really appreciate your thoughts. I think adding a type to our issue template could get us a lot of the way there.

I went through all their requests and grouped them as such:

• Automatically set a due date to a specific task in a group to be 3 days after project creation when the project is setup from a template… but do not do this to every task

• Send a reminder email 3 days before a certain task is done

• Set due date of a specific task 7 days after another specific tasks due date. Send a 3 day reminder before this is due

• Set a due date on a task 2 weeks after another specific task is done. Send a reminder 1 week and 3 days before this is due

• Set a due date on a specific task to be the same day as another specific task if that task date changes

• Send a reminder 2 weeks after a specific task is completed but another specific task is not completed

• Send a reminder 4 weeks after a specific task is completed but another specific task is not completed

• Set a due date on a specific task 6 weeks after another specific task is completed and send a reminder 4 weeks, 2 weeks, and 3 days to task owner if not completed

Just curious if you had any thoughts or suggestions?

Good afternoon.

I too have struggled with some of the issues you mentioned in your list! Hopefully this can help:

We have an issues board where our users put in a form, when they use this form it sets the task due date to the current date +x days. When that task gets assigned out to a specific group with their own deadlines we have a second automation that triggers to push the due date again.

We use three columns: Status overall, Resource (what group needs it and will drive the ultimate due date), Severity (which can trigger off additional reminders).

Please let me know if you’d like some more detail / screenshots and I can put something together for you on how to build that kind of automation flow.

JPlum,

really appreciate your response. I am going to try adding some issue type columns to our template and see if we can build rules with “AND” type statements that reference some various issue types.

Guess we will see how far that gets us

We ended up building our own automation rules with the API

1 Like