When status changes to something {IN ITEM}, create an update in Item

Hi!

I could really use an automation such that when a status on a given item changes to something, an update is automatically created on that (or another) item.

This would be super useful in a workflow where one item signals project or phase complete. By posting a comment I can tag people, or note the date it changed and post an update, etc.

@FredBaker

Does this custom automation not give you what you want?

Jim - The Monday Man (YouTube Channel)
Watch Our Latest Video: The ITEM ID column - What most people don’t know.
Contact me directly here: Contact – The Monday Man

Hi @JCorrell ,

That is close to what I want, but not quite it. I want to be able to create an update if a specific item/pulse has a given status.

So:

Row 1
Row 2
Row 3

If Row 3 has the status of Done, then post an update in Row 3, etc.

For stepwise processes, this would let me tag people or automatically add a comment on specific items when the status is switched. For example, if the item is for a project review and someone completes it, we can automatically update with a comment tagging people, noting the date, etc.

Thank you for thinking through this with me!

@FredBaker

I’m not sure that I completely understand… but assuming for a moment that I do…

Whay if you added another “Type” status to identify the item and used this automation:

Jim - The Monday Man (YouTube Channel)
Watch Our Latest Video: The ITEM ID column - What most people don’t know.
Contact me directly here: Contact – The Monday Man

This is a good idea, but won’t work for my use case. Essentially each board is a project, and each project has 120 steps or so. I essentially want to flag 5 of those and perform automations on just those, so when a specific one gets marked, make an update or notify someone, etc.

What I really need (doesn’t exist) is to be able to select from the list of items I have in rows and say, when status changes to done on {Item I select} then DO this…

1 Like

Hi Fred,

I’m pretty new to the community, but does this meet your use case? It’s similar to something I’m working on. We also have boards as projects with ~100 or so tasks in them, and want to automate or notify when some critical ones change status.

We use a Dropdown column called “Activity Flag,” right now we have Milestone, Event, and Meeting as the flags. Then you can use the below custom automation to do what you want I think. The Activity Flag implementation also has a bunch of other flexible, helpful use cases… like we use it as a filter to create a Calendar view of upcoming project Events pulled from the low level project boards.

2 Likes

@Daniel, sorry for the long delay in response. Something like this might have worked on some level.

We had all of our projects listed in rows, and what I was hoping for was that when someone marked done on a project (row) it would automatically add an update comment so I could tag someone, pass key info off, etc.

I could have probably used your solution to send a notification or something with that info.

1 Like

Hi all,
new to Monday, is it possible when the satus is changes to done, it will auto create a new card and the name/title of that new card will be something like:
CR - “Title of the previous, changed to done status”

Thank you all!

1 Like

Hi @nferreira ,

What is the specific use case here? You could set an automation so that “When status changes to done, create item” or “create item in board”, but I don’t think there is a way in vanilla monday to create a new item using the name of the old item.

This post on auto naming sort of discusses the topic and suggests using a formula column to copy some data, but calls for API to leverage the project name.

1 Like

Hi @FredBaker ,

thank you for your prompt response, it might work with Power Automate integration, will check asap.

Thank you!