Workflow: Marketing Team - Items Worked On By Multiple Teams, Project Boards, Automations

What I’m trying to accomplish:

We are a marketing team. We have 8 different teams within marketing that are using monday.com: Creative, Social Media, Paid Social Media, Blog, Website Development, Content, Email, Product

We have project boards and team boards. A project board is a large campaign (multiple deliverables, multiple teams). A team board is where each team within marketing tracks and works within their team-specific tasks. Ex. Email Team Board contains all emails. Each email is an item. Each item has Email-specific columns (Email Status, Email Send Date, Files, etc.).

In a project board, an item is created. Multiple teams may work on that item, one team may work on that item, or no teams may work on that item.

Team boards have items that are only for their specific team. They may be just items only related to their team (Social Media Team Board has all social posts), they may be items they are working on with another team (social media post that requires Creative to create the asset), or they may be items that also live in a project board if it’s part of a larger campaign.

When multiple teams need to work on an item in a project board, I want that item to be created on their team board. I want them to share the name of the item, the updates in the item, and the files column. This way, each team will be able to add links to the files column (never actual files), go back and forth speaking through updates, etc.

Each team has a different status column. For example, Creative Team Board has Creative Status (New, Filming, Editing, etc.), Social Media Team Board has Social Status (Waiting for Assets, Copywriting, Published, etc.).

Each team has a different date column. For example, Creative Team Board has Creative Delivery Date (basically a due date for them), Social Media Team Board has Social Post Date (when it will be posted on social media).

On the project board, there is an Overall Status column. So if the item is not related to a team, that status column can be changed based on the status of the task. If the Social Media team is working on that task, when the Social Status is “Published”, the Overall Status should be changed automatically to “Done”. If the Social Media team, the Creative Team, the Email Team, and the Blog Team are working on that task, then when all of those teams mark their piece in the task as “Done” (or whatever their team refers to as done), the Overall Status should automatically be changed to “Done”.

Another example: When Creative and Social Media are working on that one task, if Creative Status is “Done” on the Creative Team Board, and Social Status is “Published” on the Social Media Team Board, I want Overall Status on the Project Board to change to “Done” automatically.

I want this to work this way if one team is working on the item or up to 8 different teams.

Questions:

How can I accomplish this? Is this even possible?

Do I need all of the statuses to live on every board for this to work? Ex. Each project board and each team board will have each status (Overall Status, Social Status, Creative Status, Ad Status, etc.).
Do I need all of the dates to live on every board for this to work? Ex. Each project board and each team board will have each type of date (Social Post Date, Creative Delivery Date, Ad Run Date [timeline, not individual date], etc.).
This would be so messy and confusing^

How can I do this without creating hundreds upon hundreds of automations? I’d like for this to not be complicated for the teams to understand and work within.

I have been tried Same Item Multiple Boards, Autoboost, etc. I have attempted to use Connect Boards in the past but mirroring just is not the same and it doesn’t allow automations.

Just really stuck here and would love some feedback on what to do.

1 Like

Do changes on the team boards need to drive automations on other team boards, or just the overall board?

Since your primary concern seems to be around statuses here is a support article that may be very helpful. https://support.monday.com/hc/en-us/articles/4457866126610-Trigger-Automations-with-a-mirror-column

As you just learned you can drive local status changes (and a few other things) with changes to mirrors of status columns.

While not a comprehensive solution, it might help get you on the right path using mirror columns.

Additionally, Column Magic (another app) can trigger on a local column change and write its value to a mirror column. In this case you’d mirror the column you want to change on the team board from the overall board, then when a local column changes, it will change the column being mirrored.

I am one of the developers of Column Magic