2-way automated status changes between linked boards

Does anyone know how to automate the following:

Boards A and Board B have linked tasks. Status of task in Board A changes to X. Linked task in Board B automatically changes to X. AND the inverse is also possible. Status changes to Y in Board B, so status of linked task in Board A changes to Y.

Mirroring columns doesn’t work because you can’t adjust mirrored column contents directly and for some reason you can’t build automations off of mirrored columns.

Basically my goal is to have the same task live in multiple boards and not have to adjust it in multiple locations. This is reallllly hard to do for some reason in Monday.

1 Like

Came here looking for almost the same solution, although I would be satisfied if at least I could change the status of linked task in Board B, when the status changes in Board A.

Right now, it’s only the “mirrored status” that changes in Board B, and as you say, you cannot do automations based on that.

Personally, right now, I’m leaning towards just doing it manually as part of my “Friday cleanup & maintenance”. Simply check if any of the “mirrored statues” are DONE, and then mark the actual status column DONE too. Downsides are:

1. Manually work. Meh…
  2. If the task (usually bugs, in my case) is customer-related, the bug reporter would probably like to know as soon as the bug is fixed and deployed, so they can inform the customer. Imagine if it’s fixed and deployed tuesday, but I don’t update the (mirror) until Friday…

@cswimmer if you found a workaround for what you need, I’d love to hear it. Otherwise, here’s to hoping monday.com will add something in the near future. This post from July (2019!) might be a bit related to what you’re asking, and so far it seems we don’t have the feature: About the Link & Mirror function

I think what we want would be this ?
When a Status in a linked Board Changes to Something, update another Status on the other Linked board.

@cswimmer This where Monday need to implement a Project Column that completely links/mirrors tasks from one board to another like I have suggested as a function below, check it out and upvote it!

https://community.monday.com/t/mirror-a-task-on-multiple-boards-with-a-project-column/6049

1 Like

@cswimmer @scooper you can accomplish what you are looking to do by connecting the boards and mirroring the desired info (status, etc) from the connected board(s). This allows you to update the status in one place, but have it reflected across all connected boards. I’ve attached some information that can help you get it setup, please reach out to our support team should you experience any issues when setting this up!

Hi @cswimmer and @scooper :wave:

It look like this post here 2-way automated status changes between linked boards - #5 by Jacqui might have answered your question, is that correct?

If so, please don’t forget to mark it as the solution so other users can easily find it, and to close this thread :slightly_smiling_face:
If not, feel free to ask any additional questions you have!

Best,
Dani

Hi @cswimmer and @scooper!

I’m going to go ahead and mark this is resolved as there hasn’t been an update to this thread in the past 7 days. This will close the thread in 7 days time :slightly_smiling_face:
Please do let us know if you have any additional questions on this, we’d be happy to help!

Best,

Dani

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.