Allow to define how many values can be selected in a dropdown column

Hi there,

it would be really nice if I were able to limit how many values in a dropdown column someone is able to assign to an entry e.g. no more than 1, no more than 2, etc.

Right now there doesn’t appear to be a way to limit for someone to assign as many values as they want. This also causes issues with forms where I’d like someone to pick exactly one value from a lenghty dropdown list.

Cheers,

Sebastian

2 Likes

I’d love this! The current dropdown, in terms of typical webform pattern, is more a multi-select field than a traditional drop-down. If I want a single-select drop-down, I’m forced to use the status column, which isn’t ideal since it confuses the use of this pattern across the system (e.g., colors have meaning, where drop-down items may not).

I’d suggest adding a “Column Settings” like “Date” that contains a “limit” field, since this settings pattern already exists within Monday and falls within the same user case.

6 Likes

100000% needed! Thanks for posting this in the community, @sschreiner.

Josh

Totally agree that the “Dropdown” column, isn’t really a dropdown by typical convention. Allowing the ability to limit the selection would go a long ways towards making this more usable. In the current state, there is very little difference between tags & dropdowns yet there is a NEED for a TRUE DROPDOWN (like Status, but not having the significance, etc.).

1 Like

Currently all dropdowns are multi-select. Can you please add a setting to allow us to define whether its a single or multi-select dropdown? Kind of like how people has an unlimited/1/2/3 option. If dropdowns could have the same setting that be great.

1 Like

It’s really unbelievable that a basic single-select dropdown is not available in Work OS…

1 Like

Couldn’t you use a Status column in place of Drop-down in order to restrict selections to a single value?

from a functional point of view - yes, but visually it communicates a total different experience to a dropdown column.

1 Like

+1 for this, I want to limit a dropdown to 1 selection. Using Status feels like a workaround.
Being able to specify the dropdown selections are limited to 1, 2, 3, etc would be really cool.

1 Like

Very surprised this isn’t implemented yet. Yes, the “Status” column can be used as a workaround, but that only allows ~40 answers, and if you ever have a dropdown with more potential results, you’re stuck. Also the dropdown just feels like the natural input for certain columns - agreed with @cberman, being able to limit the dropdown amount to an entered number would be incredibly useful.

2 Likes

Still no resolution to this? Starting to think voting on things is a waste of time.

Currently, the Dropdown column seems to be set as a select one or more option. This is great in theory, as it make it up to the user to decide whether they want to select just one or many. But in use its a bit cumbersome. As it creates additional steps for the user when they want to change it from one thing to another. Rather than just selecting a different option and the selection being replaced. I need to now select another option, and then remove the previous selection.

Can we get the option to set a dropdown as a single select or multi-select type?

Yes, this should definitely be a thing. I think it should simply be an option in “Column Settings” like most of the other columns has.

“Column Settings” > “Selection method” > [“Single”, “Multiple”]

10 Likes

any update from the developer on this? it’s so super useful to restrict dropdown to single selection esp for monday.forms

I also agree that this should be a thing. At the moment, the workaround you can use is to use the Status column for single selections and the Dropdown columns for multiple selections.

I agree. It is a pretty basic requirement that things are a lot of the time, only one value.

A workaround is to use the Label column instead. Dropdown column allows multiple, and Status is tied to status of the task. Label is independent and has only 1 option selectable.

It’s disappointing that this is not already a part of the product. It’s fundamental. A List Box is equally fundamental.

1 Like

Any updates on this???

Do you think you can tell us if you want to consider our request related to the dropdown column? For me, this change is very important, and from what I see, also for the users who wrote here about it