Any way to automatically sum up values of several columns via automation?

Hi everyone,

I wanted to know if there is a possibility to do the following:

I have a board where each employee is supposed to track their time per item (customer / project) in columns for each day (monday through friday.)

Ideally, employees enter the values for each day. Now what I want is a clumn of “total time” and have the values of each day mo-fr automatically added to the (already existing value) in “total time” and then by each weekend, automatically wipe the entries so everyone starts with a clean slate for the next week.

Any input is highly appreciated. thanks!

Hey @mlands,

Is it possible for you to share a screenshot of the set up? I might just need a bit more visual context to better understand what you’re trying to achieve :pray: From what I can understand, a formula column might help here in summing the total values, but will need to be sure of your board structure!

Hi@mlands,

There is a way to set up a tracking system for employee time per item on a Monday.com board. You want to automate the calculation of total time per week and reset the entries at the end of each week .
1.Create a new column called “Total Time”.
2.Add a formula to the “Total Time” column that sums up the values in the day-specific columns. For example, if your day-specific columns are called “Monday”, “Tuesday”, “Wednesday”, “Thursday”, and “Friday”, the formula would be:
=SUM(Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday)

3.Set up a recurring automation to run on Saturday morning. The automation should clear the values in the day-specific columns

hope it is helpful to you,
For further implementation details kindly connect us:
MSquare Support
Visit us here
Youtube Channel

Hi, thanks for your reply. How exactly do I set up the recurring automation to clear the values? I couldn’t find anything resembling what I want to achieve in the “recurring” section for automations or when setting up a custom one.

Hi @BiancaT ,

thanks for your reply. So this is a visual of the setup:

Screenshot 2023-08-23 100707

So I know how to create a formula that sums up the values entered in the columns for “monday” , “Tuesday” etc. - but I’d like additionally is to add this Sum again to the next column “onboarding”

So let’s say the numbe rin Onboarding is already at 50. If the employee enters 1 for monday, 4 on thursday and 3 for friday, I would like this to be summed up to 8 (which happens via formula) and then add this 8 again to the already existing value of 50 to keep a cumulative value of how much time employees spent on a project overall.

CUrrently this needs to be done manually, and people forget about it or miscalculate so I’d like to automate as much as possible.

Thanks for sharing this information with me!

Apologies if I’ve misunderstood, however could you input an additional formula column to sum the total from monday-friday columns to the onboarding value?

If you set up the formula this would automatically sum the values as long as values are inputted into the cells… does this make sense?

I’m trying to figure out something similar for tracking non-billable hours and maybe this automation would work for clearing the columns.

1. 1 day after the date range ends
  2. Then clear these columns

The caveat is that you’ll need to set the date range manually each week.