Anyway we can use the SUM of column in a formula?

Hi Monday!

Is there a way for us to use the SUM of a column in a formula? So for example:

SUM of column A - SUM of column B

let me know! Thanks!

Hey @jawad, good question!

At the moment there’s not a way to use a column sum in a formula. Can I ask why you were looking to do this? What is your goal in terms of your workflow?

I’d love to see if I can provide some alternative suggestions here!

Hi, I was looking into this and wanted to know the same thing. @TRB-monday.com here is what I would want to do.
Take the sum time based on the work done for a specific client and add it to another board. Maybe there can be an automation " take the sum of THIS column, (but with a defined filter) and send the sum to another board.

I could see the same thing for budgets, lets say you wanted a high level board that showed you the sum dollar amount of spend during a month and then compared it to other months (but you MUST be able to filter it by something)

@tara,

You might take a look a using mirror columns. If you mirror a number column from another board (or itself) you can have the mirror be the sum of the number columns of the linked items.

You can also use same type of setup to get the sum of a numbers column with subitems.

Alternatively, you would need something like Integromat or a custom app (or monday app marketplace).

Thanks for your response! Mirror columns doesn’t help because I don’t want each item, I just want the sum total.

@tara,

It may not be practical for you use case. But, you could link to every item; it would sum them all.

Imagining the details of what you might be wanting, I’d use an Integromat integration.

1 Like

thanks! I will look into it

Tried this, doesn’t allow me to mirror the number column from the same board. Any other suggestions on how to use a column sum in a formula?

Hey @epoppleton ,

Welcome to the community - thank you for your request!

At this time, I am afraid we do not have a seamless way to mirror a column summary into a formula. This is certainly a commonly requested feature, and I want to assure you this has been brought up with our product team. That being said, I’d like to offer you with a workaround that you may find useful. Please refer to this loom recording for a demonstration: Loom | Free Screen & Video Recording Software | Loom

We understand that this isn’t the most seamless process, but we hope it can help in some way!

Best,
Bianca