Auto-ID column (more dynamic)

hi Rachel,

(1) yes, it is a one-time fee per account. You can use it on as many boards you want.
(2) currently the webshop only supports PayPal, but you can easily transfer money from any CC to PayPal
(3) our current offerings can be found on Downloads Archive - Excellent Team. A new one will be added soon which allows for moving items between groups based on status change, see also: Status Done PER GROUP - automation to move row to next group - #4 by basdebruin
(A) Currently no plans for integration with Peachtree/Sage, but I am happy to look into this.
(B) sorry, no focus on the mobile app at this moment
(C) interesting idea, have to look into that
(4) Not entirely sure what you mean by this

1 Like

We settled on our own solution of a webhook that sets the ID to the desired column. The solution is free but requires some software engineering skills to set it up. All the code and instructions are here: GitHub - AlexeyPerov/Monday.com-Auto-ID-generator: This tool can be used as a WebHook for Monday.com to assign Auto Incremeted IDs to pulses. Designed to be deployed on AWS Lambda. Has a few additional APIs for manual usage.. Hope it helps someone!

1 Like

I too would be interested in an integrations with SAGE

Any update on this feature?

1 Like

Any update on this feature?

The feature is available as an app, see https://monday.com/marketplace/17

Hi everyone!

We kindly ask that you redirect your votes on this thread to this primary thread that we believe aligns with your requests: Auto-ID column (more dynamic) - As we plan on closing this thread so we have all the votes in one, and can better prioritise this feature request based upon the total amount of votes :pray:

Hi @hlopezvc,

Great idea and thanks for sharing your feedback. We’ve discussed your request with the team and they agree with the need for more customizable IDs. As of now, making the ID shorter and more customizable is not immediately planned, but we are working on adding a prefix to the item-id column.

We would love to keep hearing how this feature would impact your workflow. Requests like yours help guide us in prioritizing the features that our users care about the most. So keep the ideas coming because your feedback makes a difference.

Have another idea? Submit it as a new topic!

1 Like

Hi @hlopezvc and thanks to all those that voted and shared feedback. We’ve discussed your request with the relevant development team and they agree with the need for a more dynamic ID column. As of now, making the ID shorter and more customizable is not immediately planned, but we are working on adding a prefix to the item-ID column.

We would love to keep hearing how this feature would impact your workflow. Requests like yours help guide us in prioritizing the features that our users care about the most. So keep voting and sharing feedback. It makes a difference.

Have another idea? Share it by opening a new topic.

1 Like

We use Monday to track our design projects/tasks through the business. The volume of projects that we work on during the year can be in the 1000’s. In order to track these features our previous Project Management software allowed us to generate an incremental custom “Project Number” in the format YY-XXXX. This then allows us to find the correct artwork for the job, reprints, etc.

The feature we want is an incremental custom format number that increases +1 with each new pulse. The pulse ID doesn’t work as the numbers aren’t incremental with each new pulse in our board plus they can’t be customised.

Our current workaround is to have a board - “Backlog” - which has a series of blank projects generated with incremental numbering in a text column. The issue we have with that is that because I have generated each project, I am also subscribed to all of them, but don’t need to be. Also, we have to go in and update the “blank” list when we start running out.

4 Likes

Hello all,

Coming here to request an easy way to connect items where the ID columns match in different boards using the automation pictured here (hopefully without having to buy a third party integration).

I have a workflow that involves 3 boards. The item ID is created on Board 1 and I can get it to copy over to boards 2 and 3 using a text box and selecting the Item ID column to fill it, but once it hits Board 3 where I am trying to use it to connect this board with Board 1 in order to mirror specific columns, I don’t get the option to match the values in the Item ID on Board 1 to match to the text column ID on board 3.

I don’t have any other matching values that I can connect the boards by and I do not want the information that I am trying to mirror to show up on Board 2.

Will the option to connect via Item ID to mirror column data be available any time soon???

I am very frustrated to find that the status on this has now been changed. I had previously read that a board level ID was on the roadmap for Q4 last year (I know this is the case because I shared this information internally and now have people following up to see when it’s happening). I came back to see the latest update and find this has now changed. This is a big blocker for us in our dev team. How on earth can you reference ticket numbers that are so long? Adding a prefix won’t help this usability issue.

Hi Juliette,

Adding to the earlier comments, this is a major requirement for our business too, so we would appreciate if this was moved up the priority list.

Many thanks

Geraint

Hi everyone,

I wanted to update you and tell you about our new feature process Thanks for your feedback. We want to let you know that we are launching a new feature request process to give you more visibility into our product roadmap. As part of the new process, every quarter will discuss top voted features from the community and give you a status update.

As you may have noticed, we have also been condensing old and new comments and threads to clean up this category and so things might look a little different. With our new process, we are providing more transparency into our future development plans with the community and are excited to share them with you.

I just want to add to the mountain of sentiment for this being an actual must-have for any real software development boards. You cannot say to your coworker or manager, “Hey, check out ticket 5123471414”. And if you’re using Auto Number and say “Check out ticket PROJ-123”, well, you can’t even search for Auto Numbers with an included prefix. You have to search only “123”, and that’s gonna bring up any number of matching Item ID results unless you change your search settings.

Please understand: the lack of search functionality is not a feature request; it is a bug.

At the very least, the “auto number” column needs to be searchable. A prefix of “PROJ-”, which generates values like “PROJ-123”, is only searchable by “123”. Searching “PROJ” brings up 0 results.

But the best solution is the same as what everyone else is saying. Allow us to customize the Item ID (and thus permalinks to items/tickets). At least fix the Auto Number field to be searchable. What is that column even for, if you can’t even search on it?

1 Like

This should literally be the first feature added to any board/item system. If you have more than 10 items in a board it becomes impossible to talk about them without a field like this. It makes collaboration extremely difficult and time consuming.

Has anyone found a workaround using the formula column that they’d be willing to share? I see this one is under construction but it would be great to have something in the meantime.

Another vote for an AutoID function that allows us to set the first # and then assign the next number up each time we add an item to a board. The Order # is the one constant through our various systems - CRM, Design, WIP, Accounting etc. Need a unique # that is searchable, non-editable and not reusable.

2 Likes

Also voting for an AutoID function to be built in rather than using a third party app. My team is currently using Monday.com for its’ HIPAA compliancy and have been facing extreme limitations as AutoID does not extend to apps beyond our BAA with Monday. The last update from June 1st did not provide feedback in regards to progress on this issue.

Previously in Jan, it was mentioned that you all have been working on adding a prefix to the item-id column. Is there an update on when that might be resolved?

Hi all,

We are using auto number column from the column center on several board.
We are using them to prioritise project.
We need to see this project prioritization on other board with mirror column.
The fact that is not possible is a great issue on our side. This is This considerably limits the interest of Monday.
So if you can quickly plan this feature requests it will a huge progress on our side.
I’m very happy to support this if needed.