Automate Connecting Boards with Subitems

I am looking to automate a function so that when a subitem status is changed, a new item is created on a different board and that item is automatically connected to the subitem.

Connecting boards & setting up mirror columns for a subitem manually is allowed, however, when I try to set up the automation the subitem connect boards column is not an option.

Unfortunately manually creating & connecting these items is not functional with our workflow. This automation would be a great help to our project processes.

I think I’ve done similarly to what you’re asking.
What I did was use one the standardized (not custom) automation recipes. And when you create the new column, remember to select “2-way” connection. Once that is done, on the board that holds the items (not subitems) and you should be able to see the connection to the subitem board.
Does that make sense?

Please create an automation that allows:

when a subitem is created

then create an item in board and connect boards with column

2 Likes

Great news! @kyleteamdda You can now link boards sub-items via automations :tada: - using VLOOKUP marketplace app since our latest update 3 weeks ago. Let me know if you have any question.

We have two connected boards where a subitem on the higher-level board corresponds to a (future) item on the lower-level board. There is a handy automation called “when status changes to something create an item in board and connect boards with column”. This allows us to create new tasks once they are ready to be worked on. However, it’s not possible to connect said new item to the corresponding subitem, even though (a) mirror columns are possible with subitems and (b) the automation works great with items. Why is this limitation in place and can it be changed?

1 Like

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your comments regarding this feature request. I did want to let you know that the developers are aware that there are certainly gaps between subitem and connected items in automations. They are aiming to focus on this particular area during the second half of the year due to some other more severe issues taking priority. We appreciate your understanding of this in advance :pray:

3 Likes

@BiancaT Are there any updates on this feature? This is very much needed for my team.

1 Like

Same same here!

Hi! Any updates on this feature?

Hey everyone, thanks for patience with me :pray:

I have followed up with the product team internally and let you know if we have ETA to share :slight_smile:

Hey everyone,

So this is already possible through our custom automations:

That said, you would need to set up the connect (/connect board column) prior to setting up the automation. Let me know if this makes sense :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey @asnagel, @cherylbenke, @kyleteamdda, @philipp.ryf, @ashley.george, @chhill1213, @BibiZavala

We developed an app that can solves this exact problem. It allows to automatically create item / subitem in a different board and connect it to the subitem that was created. See below -

This way, you can make sure that the subitems are automatically shown where needed and you can utilize mirror column to show the relevant info.

We’re constantly adding new capabilities to it to make sure it’s easy and powerful to run automation on subitems just like it’s powerful on “regular” items.
You can find it in the monday.com marketplace in the platform or here - monday.com: Apps Marketplace

Hope that helps!

Is this still a function?

I’m not seeing it as an option no matter how I set up the previous steps.

As a qualifier, I do have a Connect board Column in the subitem connected to the target board.

Hey Eben, yes this still is a supported functionality.

Hm, can you try setting up another connect board column (with 2 way sync) and let me know if this changes anything (if you haven’t already)? :pray:

Thanks for getting back to me Bianca!

I’ve catalogued my steps with snippets below.

Thanks again for taking a look at this

Thank you for those helpful screenshots Eben!

Can you please try selecting two-way connection here:

And instead select the destination board here as opposed to the current board?

Let me know if this changes anything :pray:

Hi Bianca
Any updates on the automated connect functionality for sub-items? We re trying to automatically:

1. Copy an item WITH its sub-items from Board A to Board B,
  2. Then connect the items and sub-items between the boards so the mirror columns are linked.

I understand that there are some apps that enable this functionality, but for security reasons, we would prefer to avoid add-ons.