Automated Numbering for projects

Curious if there is an option to add an automated numbering system to each job we add? Our old database would create the next “job number” then we would fill in information for that project and use the job number to save our files ect.

11 Likes

Hello, you are looking for something like this?

this is a pending request i have sended to monday

1 Like

Been looking into this myself. There is an auto-number column which will give you a sequential number list. You can add a prefix if required.

https://support.monday.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001017529-The-Count-by-column-

Thank you…I will see if that works!

Hey @BMoser @streety take care with this column,
if you see my previous post, you will find that this columns has some problems

In common sense, if you want to assign an number for your Project, i think you will like for this number to “stay” with the project and never change. Well depending on how you sort, or change the pulse or project from group this number will change… so for example if you think project nro.1 is autonumbered as 1, and you change it from folder, this number will change too.

We are an ISO 9001 certified company, and trazability is key, we cant loose a identification number asigned to a certain task, and have it automatically changed for monday.

5 Likes

This is a necessary feature! Need a reference point to Monday in our other change management documentation.

3 Likes

Hi everyone! The Auto-Number column as @streety suggested would allow you to number projects in order down your board. The order is based on the order of your items, so if you move items around, the numbers will change. This is intended to keep the numbers in running order per group or for the entire board.

I also understand the benefit of having the numbers stick with each item as you mentioned @hlopezvc, so I have submitted this request to our team!

Another option would be to use the Item ID column as referenced in the related thread above. This will work differently as it will generate a unique ID for each item that will not be sequential. The numbers will, however, stick with your items even if they are moved :slight_smile:

1 Like

@ melissav-monday.com Hello, if you see in the previous links, this function was requested many times, in July and October 2019, with many votes.

I thought this feature would be implemented quickly, but so far, there are no updates. Not having this in many companies means not having the possibility to assign a unique and true item or pulse identifier. Almost no company will want to use the Pulse ID because it is too large and cannot have the prefix …

Since we are using monday.com, I request this necessary feature. We are using other older systems to give a unique prefixed and shorter ID, and we have to enter it “manually” to monday.com with all the errors that this possibly means.

For all this, and given the previous requests, I ask you to definitely consider including this feature, which in terms of programming (knowing the subject) should not take longer to implement.

Previous requests:
Automatically assign number to pulses/items in sequence - #4 by andyinhr
Auto-ID column (more dynamic) - #11 by hlopezvc

11 Likes

I add my vote to the request. This would be a very useful feature for us as well. We are considering to move the CRM functionalities from SAP to Monday, in order to have a more effective workflow. We track Porposals and each of them need to have a unique sequential (in the FY) identifier. It would be great if Monday could automatically generate a new sequential identifier each time we add one, so to be sure to avoid duplicates.

3 Likes

It’s ridiculous this simple but very USEFUL feature don’t exist here. This is why we don’t subscribe Monday.com

5 Likes

This is an essential feature - a customisable auto-increment field that is fixed against each item. If we are to stay with monday.com we must have this. Can someone pleas say if this is being considered and if it is give some idea of a time line. If it is planned we will stay, if not we will leave. Thanks

4 Likes

Hi Melissa.

Im wondering how Monday.com is gonna proceed with this.

Facts:

• There is a feature request long time requested by users like this one.
  • The avaliable workarounds doenst meet this basic requirements.
  • Also there is a solution for a price with an App that really does what we want.

Questions are:

• Will you build a native Monday.com solution for this? Or when an App Builder takes advantage and build a basic feature that you dont Monday.com will stay out of the way so as not to discourage developers?
  • If a basic feature solution is avaliable in Apps Monday.com shouldn’t buy this app and add it to the basic package of the working operating system?
3 Likes

This is an easy one surely? I need fixed invoice numbers. Please add it ASAP

4 Likes

All Monday appears to be is ‘workarounds’. There are so many basic functions that don’t exist within it. I would also like this added. Currently the reasons for moving elsewhere are mounting. I could build a spreadsheet that could do most of this and save £600 per year.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.