Automation - Due date set to today + x days (from number column)

I’d like to offset the due dates by the numbers column to enable the team to track different reporting requirements on the same board.
Ideally, an automation for when an item is created, the due date can be set as today + x days (where the x pulls info from a numbers column).

Automations create new iterations of recurring tasks with x numbers defined by the recurrence of that task, e.g., weekly tasks set to 5 to allow 5 days to complete, monthly 28 days etc.

@jessie.stroud

To my knowledge, there isn’t a native way to dynamically change the “+ # of days” automation number. Probably something that can be achieved through integration apps, but not prebuilt into Monday.

But if you have set variables, like Weekly(5 days) & Monthly(28 days) then you might be able to accomplish this another way:
-Change your numbers column to a Status with the preset
-Use an automation like “When status changes to weekly, set due date to today + x days” and you would just need an automation per Status in your column.

1 Like

Hi @jessie.stroud - Perhaps these automations will help? Video clip: Screen Recording 2021-02-16...

Best,
~ Deb Cinkus

2 Likes

@PolishedGeek & @andrewalmand, I think I’ve gotten away with something similar to how you’ve both approached the problem:
I’ve got recurring tasks created by automation daily, weekly and monthly depending on the task. One automation per item into the appropriate reporting group.
(I wish there was a clone + adjust automation function… anyways I digress).
Two date columns: Date Created & Due Date.
One Status column: Recurrence (daily, weekly, monthly)
Second automation: Set Date Created & Due Date to today.
Third automation: When Date Created arrives and Recurrence is (weekly/monthly), push Due Date by x (4/28) days respectively.

2 Likes

Note: The push Due Date automation is set to the hour after the items created and dates set automations. Setting them simultaneously doesn’t push the dates back being created sand set - because simultaneous wouldn’t work).

1 Like

Sorry for reviving an old thread. I was able to get it the push simultaneously. What I did was create one automation to set the Due Date and the Date Created as the same day the Item is created. Then a subsequent automation to push the Due Date back when the column, Date Created, is edited.

Note: I believe the order you add ‘today’s’ date matters (Entering a date in the Due Date before the Date Created) because the subsequent automation will kick in when the Date Created column is edited after all and if there isn’t a date in the Due Date column, I assume it’ll fail.

I hope this helps out, but it’s been working for me pretty well so far.

@PolishedGeek I really like your video thank you. But I can’t find the adjust Due Date by the number of days in Numbers automation. Does it still exist?

There is a way to set the due date “in X days at 5 pm” using Zapier. I was looking for a native way to do this using board templates but no luck. The only other issue is this does not account for weekends and holidays. Assigning a task due when people are off wont work.