Requesting Automation for subitem creation to set a date column to today + N days

Hi there,
I have created a handful of custom automations which create subtasks every time an item status gets changed. This has worked great for us so far, but 1 thing we would love to do is set the due date column on the subitem to a couple days in the future. I see that I can set it to today, but don’t see a way with current automations that I can set it to today + N days

It would be amazing if I could handle this in the same automation, but if not at least having a way to create a second automation to get the task done in the future would work well for us as well.

Thanks!

@timlittletech

Yes this can be accomplished with a secondary(possibly tertiary) automation:

This is one of the date changing automations that supports subitems. So you will also need a status to be changed, not preset, which may already exist in your workflow.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Andrew,

This was helpful, I’m able to get this automation to work, but may still need to finagle it a little to figure out how to get status change as part of workflow, Since I’m currently presetting the status on subitem creation.

Thank you,

Tim

1 Like

@timlittletech

Hmm you are right, it’s limited by the automations that affect Sub Items. Let me mess around with some options and I’ll get back to you.

2 Likes

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Would also like to know! I have the creation of an item trigger a bunch of subitems to be created, but they all need to be a different number of days out from the main item creation. Right now that’s not possible.

2 Likes

Same here. I have a bunch of subitem creations being automated and I would like their dates to be set + some days when created.

1 Like

@APfluger there is a way that with the help of a few other folks I’ve been using to accomplish this.
It is a little bit of a work around, but it does work.

I’ve been adding a status column ‘Assign Days’ with values ‘+1 day’, ‘+2 days’, etc… On subitem creation I will set the status to however many days in advance I want the task to be due. 1, 2, etc…

THEN I go into the board and create an automation for each of the status labels.
‘when status changes to {label}, set date to today and push by {n} days’

You have to repeat this automation for however many options of pushing days you want. for the example below you’d have to create the automation 3 times, but it has worked really well for my clients who need it.

The automation should trigger when the subitem gets created and will update the date of the subitem to a certain point out in the future.

Hope that helps!
Best,
Tim

2 Likes