Best practice on Project Boards

Hello community,

Are there any best practice approaches on using boards for projects? the basic blog posts do not give clarity on my particular question. Should a project board just be limited to tasks/activities only or include other Project information? I ask this as where I work have implemented a single project board template that includes, activities, risk and issues, milestones, stakeholders etc.

• The pro point is that you have a single board for your project
  • The Con the board is maxed out on column headings and so you can’t add any more and the different sections don’t need most of the different fields.

Is it best practice to limit a project board to tasks and have separate boards in a folder for the other project tools, Risks, Issue, Stakeholder mgt, Comms plans etc?

1 Like

Hi@AndyBud,
Best practice approaches for using boards in projects may vary depending on the specific project and the needs of the team.

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to whether a project board should be limited to tasks or include other project information. It depends on the complexity and size of the project, the preferences of the team, and the capabilities of the project management tools being used. The key is to strike a balance between clarity, usability, and efficient project management.

Hope its helpful to u.
MSquare Support
Visit us here
Youtube Channel

2 Likes

I prefer to have one Workspace per project with different boards for stuff like absence calendars, project team overviews, meeting logs, etc.

I also like to have work breakdown structure, phase plan, gantt with dependencies and some dashboards on one board, so I can switch easily between different infos.

The rest is usually free form, depending on project type, customer demands and how you handle stakeholders and risks.

As the poster above me said, it really depends on how you approach projects with your customers, project size and length, team sizes, communication styles etc.

Hope all the info in this topic helps you to find a good start for your project and organically growing from that point on.

Also, never be shy to ask your clients how they would enjoy working with you on the board and offer them some ideas who you like to set things up. After all, it is all about team work, organizing and controlling while maximizing transparency & communication and minimizing friction & waste.

2 Likes

Hi @AndyBud ,

In reference to your comment about some sections needing certain fields, but most other columns not needing those fields I want to suggest using the board description.

The board description is a great place to put information such as stakeholders, high level milestones, project description, etc. This helps free up some of the space and fields that may only be used for a select few items.

In order to add a board description, go to your board and find the “i” icon near the board title, once you click on that a pop-up will appear where you can add information pertaining to the project.

I think this only scratches the surface of what you are looking for, but still wanted to share this in case it can help.

1 Like