Cache for new app versions

Hi there,

I used for the first time the new concept of “App versions” in Monday. I have created a new version, then a new build in the specific feature with a different URL than the previous version and then I’ve made the version live.

However, when I go to my production app, I still see that Monday is fetching the iframe source from the old URL, not the new one I have set to the new version.

Is this a cache issue? How do I make sure that users are getting the new URL of the latest version?

Thank you.

Hey @v-appgami
New versions must be explicitly installed by the user.
If a v1 is installed, it’s not automatically updated to v2.

For minor versions, that is for example, 1.20, 1.21 etc (the first number stays the same whiles numbers after the point changes), users are automatically upgraded to the latest version. You can get the new update by navigating to the view (for example, if it is a board view) and refreshing your page. The new version will be loaded automatically.

For major version, that is for example, 2.00, 3.00 (the number before the point is changed), the user will have to upgrade the app themselves by going to Admin → Apps

2 Likes

Hi @v-appgami,

Yes, @kolaai is absolutely correct! +1 to everything that he said.

Great, thank you for the answers folks!

I just have another two related questions:

1. I can’t see the button to update when I navigate to “Admin > Apps”. Any idea why?
  2. How will users be notified about a new version? I’m concerned that users will miss that there is a new version installed and will be stuck on an old version

Thank you.

Oh, I found the button to update the app! It is disabled because I’m “already running the latest version of the app”, however, I can clearly see that when I load the app in its view, the URL being called is the old URL.

Hi @v-appgami,

Ahh yes, so when it comes to releasing new major versions, the process is a bit complex. Just a heads up: our developers are definitely aware of the weirdness in the current flow and are still working on a better method.

To summarize, whenever you release a new major version, the app must be uninstalled and then reinstalled by your app users. Sadly, there currently isn’t a way to notify these users automatically. You would need to notify them of the new major version yourself, making sure to let them know that they need to uninstall and then reinstall their apps to “upgrade.”

In addition, you must make sure to support both the previous and the current versions of the app. This is because every major version release constitutes a breaking change for your app. As such, our apps framework will not automatically get rid of the previous version of the app for your users. They will need to make this choice for themselves by uninstalling and then reinstalling.

Do you mind uninstalling and then reinstalling your app to see if it works for you then?

Hi Helen,

Thank you! You are right, and I think your answer should be marked as the correct solution to this thread because it really explains exactly how this versioning strategy works. In fact, I didn’t notice the message that is displayed when creating a new version, which states exactly what you are saying - I should have been more careful.

I would like to share some thoughts about this process, although I believe that what is in place works, with some improvement on the app upgrade flow for final users because reinstalling the app is a big friction.

Because Monday.com is a SaaS platform and not an on-premises solution (and so are the apps) I believe that the only reason to request users to manually upgrade a version is when there is a change on the permission scopes. Any other updates should be seamless and continuous and frictionless. So, I’m not sure what is the value of providing a way of releasing major and minor versions unless there was a change on permissions. Maybe there is something that I’m not seeing here?

Thank you.

1 Like

Hi @v-appgami,

Thank you for sharing this invaluable feedback! I can absolutely understand where you’re coming from and your proposed solution makes a lot of sense to me.

While I can’t speak on the exact decisions that were made that ultimately lead to the implementation of our versioning feature, I can say that any and all breaking changes are considered “major,” hence why you would need a major version.

However, I would be more than happy to let our team know of this feedback! Perhaps this will not always be the case in the future.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.