Changing/Setting Group ID values

I plan to use the API for mutations to place new items into specific groups.

The Group IDs generated by monday.com range from great to random.

Is there anyway to change my Group IDs, or if not, is there a way to set the Group ID when creating it?

EXAMPLE
{
“data”: {
“boards”: [
{
“name”: “Jennifer Tarren”,
“id”: “681723996”,
“description”: “”,
“groups”: [
{
“title”: “Demographics”,
“id”: “new_group”
},
{
“title”: “Glucose”,
“id”: “glucose”
},
{
“title”: “Blood Pressure”,
“id”: “group_title24981”
},
{
“title”: “Weight”,
“id”: “group_title10743”
},
{
“title”: “Respiration”,
“id”: “group_title86535”
},
{
“title”: “Height”,
“id”: “group_title8265”
}
]
}
]
},
“account_id”: 6701071
}

Hi @dvockell

Welcome to the community. As far as I know groupIds can’t be changed (neither in the UI nor in the API).

1 Like

Hi there @dvockell and welcome to the community! :wave:

I really wish I had something different to say here, but I have to agree with the awesome @basdebruin. Group IDs, like Column, Board, User, and Item IDs are all generated more or less randomly and we do not provide a way to change this through the API or in the UI.

That said, this is feedback we have been getting somewhat frequently lately and I totally agree it’s not a very convenient way of doing things. While I can’t promise anything just yet, I’ve made sure that our development team is aware of this shortcoming - hopefully, we will be able to consider a better way to do this in the future.

Last, but not least - I’d personally really appreciate it if the next time you create a new topic, it would be placed in the appropriate SubCategory within the Dev forum. It might not seem like a big deal, but it can help other users find the answer to their question more easily, so it would help keep the community nice and tidy :slight_smile: I’ve made the changes myself now, so it’s definitely no biggie.

Keep rocking!

-Alex