Checkbox Checked/Unchecked Automation Trigger and Conditional

Hi, it would be really great to have a simple boolean based trigger/conditional for checkbox driven automation.

So, “If Checkbox changes to Checked/Unchecked then Do Something” or “If Something Changes and If Checkbox is Checked/Unchecked then Do Something”

I know this can be done with Statuses but this type of simple base automation for several “Yes/No” or “True/False” type intuitive interactions on items will save time and money for all Monday.com users, especially with mobile app based workforces.

Agreed-- I second this.

Yeah I agree too, would be very useful.

Please let’s do that

My vote for this too please!

It would be nice to have the option for an action to only occur on a specific check (uncheck) and not on the reverse action. This might make a good ‘and only if’ sub-option when choosing a check box column as part of a ‘when column changes’ automation.

This would be a great feature. Especially if the checkbox column was allowed in forms so actions could be initiated when the only thing a customer needs to do is accept a condition, eliminating the need to have to choose a status drop down choice in the form.

Hi @UBS - what we have done is utilized another column (status or number) column to see if the checkbox is checked/unchecked.

Lets use a status column named “Checkbox Status” with its default value called “Unchecked” and another value called “checked”. Then utilize the following stock automations:

When Checkbox changes and Checkbox Status is Unchecked, set Checkbox Status to Checked
When Checkbox changes and Checkbox Status is Checked, set Checkbox Status to Unchecked

This way you know the status of the checkbox in automations.

Hope this helps,
Mark

Hi Mark, Thanks for the reply! I’m fairly new with Monday and can’t find the stock automation that says ‘When Checkbox changes’ or any automation that has the checkbox column mentioned. I’ve used the search feature in the automations looking for a checkbox automation and scrolled through the list but can’t locate it. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated and thanks again.

Hi @UBS - apologies I shouldn’t have said stock as they are custom automations.

Within the custom builder, start with “when column changes”

And add on an “and only if” status is something:

Then change status to something:

Once completed duplicate the automation and change it to the opposite values. This will give you the below two automations:

Thanks!
Mark

3 Likes

Hi Mark, I see how to set that up that up now and just tested it. Works flawlessly! Genius! I bookmarked Green Llamas Consulting so I can reach out if I get stuck on things when building out my platform. Thanks again!

1 Like

My Pleasure Jim. Feel free to reach out anytime.
Mark

Hi! Is there a way to have the check automated if the status changes to something or an item is created?

Although adding another field to check the status of the checkbox field then to run the automation via that second field works, to me it’s insane that the checkbox field isn’t available to automations in the first place and that we have to add extra fields just to check its value.

I took a different approach which was to abandon use of the checkbox field altogether (if required for automations) and to use a STATUS field instead. I then created two possible statuses and used an ASCII X for the default (✗) and an ASCII check for the “checked” status (:heavy_check_mark:). So it looks like this on my board:

The first column is the checkbox column (no longer needed) and the second is my status column using the ASCII characters to replicate the checkbox visually.

The only downside is that there is an extra click involved, one to trigger the status dropdown to appear then another to select, but this approach saves the need to create extra columns and automations as I can now use that STATUS directly in my automations or view filters.

3 Likes

Simon hi
This is brilliant - can you share how to use ASCII codes in a Status column?
It would really help me.
Thanks,
Ian

Hi Ian

You can simply copy and paste the characters from that post I made or if you Google for “ascii character table” you’ll find sites which give you all available characters and you should be able to copy and paste from those.

Hi Simon,
Thanks for replying.
I am more curious how you used ASCII codes within the Status columns to achieve the visual checkmark.
Is there a special way to code it within the Status column?

No matter how I type it into the Status column, I get this:

Sorry if I wasn’t clear but I was copying and pasting the actual character itself, not the ASCII code for it? So literally just highlight the checkmark in my previous post then in your status column paste that in - let me know if that works as I’m sure that’s all I did!

Got it thanks.
Copying the X worked fine, but the check-mark wouldn’t copy so I just went to Word, and held down the Alt key and typed 10003 on the numeric keypad.
Worked like magic, and bottom line, no offense to Green Llamas, but this is a more robust solution - thanks!

1 Like