Created subitems via automation now have Last Updated = Creator of automation. Adjustable?

Hi there,

I’ve created a rule that automatically adds some subitems whenever a user creates an item.
This works OK, though it shows that it was last updated by me (as creator of the automation I guess?). So even when someone else creates the parent item.

Can I control this in some way? I would like to see the person who created the parent item instead…

I see the field in the parameter options, but it’s greyed out?

Hi @HarmLommers , I just tested 2 methods that work.

• The first is to use the Creation Log column rather than Last Updated. Creation Log can show the person as well as date (it’s in the column settings if it doesn’t show them automatically). In my test, it successfully showed the actual item creator (Guest), not automation creator (me).

• The second method is to have a person column for the Creator, and in your custom automation add a step to “assign creator” to that column. This method also worked correctly, as you can see in the screenshot below.

The only one that shows the automation creator is the “Last Updated” column!
Picture 2021-06-25 at 8.26.18 PM

Hi @HarmLommers :wave:

It look like this post Created subitems via automation now have Last Updated = Creator of automation. Adjustable? - #2 by graceg might have answered your question, is that correct?

If so, please don’t forget to mark it as the solution so other users can easily find it, and to close this thread :slightly_smiling_face:
If not, feel free to ask any additional questions you have!

Best,
Dani

Hi Grace,

The issue though is that I actually need to show who last updated the item, not who created it. I was not 100% clear about that sorry.

Hey @HarmLommers :wave:

In that case, would The Last Updated Column work better for you? This way, you will be able to see who made the change, with the exact date and time.

|autoxauto

If you are specifically looking to make it so that whoever last edited the item will be assigned in the people column, then this is not possible at this time using any of our internal automations. However, you can make an automation for this if you went column-by-column using a custom automation to assign X when X column changes:

Check out this article for more details: Build your own custom automation

I hope this helps! Remember to mark as solved if this answers your question :slight_smile:

Best,
Jenna

Hi @HarmLommers!

Were any of the posts in this thread able to answer your question?
If so, it would be great if you could mark the post as the solution - it really helps other users who might be looking for the same information.

If you still have additional questions, or the posts above haven’t quite resolved your original question, we’d love to continue to assist here!

Best,

Dani

Hi @HarmLommers

I hope the answers in this thread are useful!
As we haven’t had any updates here, I’m going to go ahead and mark this thread as solved.
This means that the thread will close in 7 days time :slightly_smiling_face:

If you have any additional questions or you feel your original query wasn’t resolved, please feel free to let us know and we’ll be happy to continue to assist!

Best,

Dani

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.