Creating a board that collects totals of columns from other boards

Hello all,
I’ve read quite a few topics around this, but being rather inexperienced with Monday I’m finding it difficult to determine if what I want to do is possible or not (or possibly possible through some alternative method) that I thought it best to lay it all out and ask.

The scernario is that I have clients with set amounts of credits that need to be tracked. Requests come in to add and deduct credits from this total. I have a set of test boards to try and figure out how this can work:

Board number 1 is requests. These have an ‘add credits’ and ‘deduct credits’ column, and a list of clients in a Status column:

When the status is changed to Client 1 (for instance), an automation creates an item for the request on another board that lists all the requests for Client 1:

I then want to have another board that lists the credit totals for each client. This board has mirror columns for deductions and additions from each of the client boards, and a column with a simple formula for the new total:

The column is connected thus:

Each item is connected to the respective client board, and the addition/deduction fields contain the sum of the respective columns in those boards:

The one difficulty I have is that when a new request is created, an administrator would have to manually tick each new item to add it to the total:

This might actually still be simpler than what they’re doing currently, but I would like it to be automatic if possible. So my question is… is this possible?

As I said I’m quite new to Monday, and this way of doing it was just what seemed logical, so if there are alternative methods I’m open to trying.

Hey Doug,

It sounds like our match automations might be most relevant here!

The roadblock appears to be the process of having to manually connect that item in the client board… what you can do is create a column in the client board (which may already be set up) which values match a column in the requests board (i.e. the client name matching in the 2 boards), based on this logic, the automation will automatically connect the 2 items.

Let me know if this sounds like it could help and we can continue :slight_smile:

Hi Bianca,
I’m not sure I follow how to apply that to this specific situation. Could you be more specific and perhaps share an example?

Sorry for the lack of clarity there Doug!

Am I correct in understanding that you’d like to automate the item connection between the client totals board and the individual client requests board?

if this is the case, I am thinking that at the time an item is created in the client totals board, you could utilise a match automation to connect the new item (in the client totals board) to the specific client request in the client board to avoid the admin having to manually tick the new item). Match automations work by connecting items based on matching column values - in this situation if there are columns in your client totals board that match columns in your client request board, this is how the the automation can connect the items automatically in the connect board column.

Apologies if I’ve misunderstood your end goal here!