Customize notifications when inviting users to boards

Hey Monday Community!

It would be super nice for us to be able to add users to boards without them automatically being notified.

We can (painfully) turn off their notifications at each and every user level (if the person subscribing them to the board has admin rights even), and then (painfully) add them back, but when you are working on a “plan”, and want to plot people into the plan and do some review and pre-work, before discussing it with them (OR sharing the board) - they may not even know they’ll be on the project, it is very silly to send them an invite TO said board.

It would be great if sending a notification during invitation (much like sharepoint let’s you deselect the email) could be OPTIONAL, thus allowing us to choose when the invite goes out by Monday (with less than perfect timing), or via a link in an email where we have control over the messaging.
Also, while I’m on that… would be REALLY nice if when we do use email (both subscribing to board, and inviting to Monday), if we could type a short message indicating context and supporting the invitation (especially helpful if we were to share outside our organization - which we’d like to do eventually - for real collab).

Our current workaround is to build a temporary text column, and plot names in it until the board is shared. This not only makes for extra work, but it means that we can’t utilize any dashboards/reporting elements that support resource utilization, because it’s no longer a people field.

EDIT (ADD) > A potential alternative option might be - Allow us to use people on boards they are not subscribed to, and even as I add this - I see value for internally working on management level organizational data where people fields add value, but can’t be used because the people are not part of the leadership group needing to see that data about them.

Anyone else struggle with this one?! Chime in… Thanks!

I totally agree with this request!

2 Likes

That would be really helpful and allow a more flexible approach to how we add people to boards:
1/ simple add and turn off notification
2/ personalised notification if needed

2 Likes

We face this dilemma every time we create a board. Monday assumes everyone in the People column, with Notifications activated, needs to know immediately.

We often set up boards in draft mode for later review. Later we go “live”.

Currently we have to omit adding people so they don’t get false notifications or tell them to ignore the notification.

For us the immediate solution could be Draft Mode (no notifications) and Live (or Published) Mode for boards (everyone gets notified).

That would be perfect for planning.

5 Likes

That’s a great approach @JohnW - the draft would prevent you from shutting off (pausing) automations related to notifications as well, which is another part of the issue here.

It would not solve the fundamental “let us use people fields without the people being subscribed to the board” issue, but it’s another really great function that would be helpful!!!

1 Like

Yep. :+1:t2:

I’ve used “Draft/Live” features in other software. Works great.

Would be an excellent addition to Monday. Let’s see if they feel it’s compelling enough to add to the roadmap.

3 Likes

Straitster, did you ever get a resolution to this? I can open a new chat to start the conversation again if you did not. I’m being asked by my executive team to use Monday.com, but the system does not work well for us while in the planning phase. We’re creating everything outside of Monday and communicating via emails with files attached to align the management team, then we integrate into Monday. We’d really like one system to create the plan, assign the plan, have management approve and then turn on the notifications to the team so they can log in and review.

The way we tried using Monday is by creating our plans in folder with boards, pulses, assignee’s and proposed due dates. The issue with Monday.com is that as soon as we outline a plan and assign a person, the person assigned has already received an email. Overall, this would not be an issue if we were not adjusting the tasks / pulses and assignee’s while defining the plan. We may even go through MULTIPLE iterations of the plan before we are ready for management review, causing many users to get emails (sometimes 30-50 a day) on tasks they may never ever be assigned to once the project kicks off. This is laborious when some of the projects we work on (this is medical, so LOTS of assigned tasks) can have 500+ pulses assigned.

Is there a way to turn off email notifications to the assigned users when creating a pulse? Especially as we’re deleting and adding pulses and defining the plan?

3 Likes

This would help us allot as well.

Also; it would be great if you can chose if users are notified based on changes in a group/pulse they are assigned to, and not every change on the whole board. The fact that you dont have more options regarding notifications is frustrating as it makes difficult to keep track of e.g. the development of the pulses (tasks) you are assigned to in boards with allot of groups and pulses

No - unfortunately, I did not get an answer to this and it is causing us to use the application less then we’d like to see.

2 Likes

We could use this feature also.

3 Likes

I could really benefit from this feature too

3 Likes

+1 vote for the draft feature - would be super handy!

4 Likes

This, especially the last part that was added afterwards, would be very helpful for us.

There are lots of times when we want somebody tagged to a project but they don’t need to see it. For example, on my development projects board, we’ll be working on a project that was requested by a particular user but I can’t tag it to them without added them to a board that they have no business getting access to.

1 Like

This would be extremely essential also to my company. It’s very hard to plan projects and schedules in advance and test out different scenarios if people get notified all the time

4 Likes

I totally agree, too. The default-to-automated-email behavior has embarrassed me. I prefer that nothing automated should happen unless I intentionally set it up, especially emails and communications.

3 Likes

As a workaround (which we don’t love) :roll_eyes:, we now shut off all except the following notifications when we add new Monday users:
-tagged comments
-people forget to tag others to get an uodate
-automation notifications
-replies to a message you wrote

While this gives us a lot more control (to add users to boards without sending email), here are the drawbacks-
*incredibly tedious to set up users
*users can personally add notifications back, (and the board owner doesn’t know who did that. No way to stop this
*users can a still see the boards in the left panel and Monday inbox

2 Likes

I have a potential work around that you could use.

Maybe not the best work around for you as it sounds like you have a lot of users but might help some of the smaller accounts.

• Create a status column next to the people column while planning with all your users on it.
  • Duplicated the column for as many users you might need on a single item.
  • Change those status’s as many times as you need during planning.
  • When finalised, selected all the uses as indicated by the status next to them to send out notifications then delete the status column/s with the user names.

Setting up the status column every time would be tedious but you would only have to do it once if you are using a template board or if you are in enterprise there is a “save column as template” option.

I hope that helps you or somebody else with this issue.

Cheers,

Elliot.

1 Like

That’s interesting. Not sure I can visualize it but we’re using the following workaround and it’s worked ok:

Shut off all notifications in the app for users during setup EXCEPT:
1- allowed from automations - automation for people column alerts can be set per board (purposeful) and yet can be muted during planning :+1:
2-tagged in a comment☁️
3-replies to comments (since many from email and can’t tag)

This has worked really well for now, giving a lot of control, but relies HEAVILY on users understanding how critical (both) tagging and the use of strategic automation driven notifications are.

(of course they technically can turn them back on)

It would be very helpful if the people column has a setting that says “Do not notify”. Then we could add users to this column while planning and when doen change the setting to “Notify now”. So my features request is to have a column setting for people column with these options.

• Do not notify > will never notify people
  • Notify when added > current behavior
  • Notify now and for future changes > notifies all people once and then fall backs to default behavior
9 Likes

Yes! we have a lot of shifts in projects and dates – being able to resource plan and allocate the right person with a constantly shifting schedule before we trigger any action is critical. I’ve created columns as @Elliot suggested, but it’s far from optimal.