Delay between board update and API data availability

I have noticed that after updating a board, the changes are not visible in the API for up to 3/5 minutes.

More precisely, let’s say I add an email address in a board’s column, and I search for such email using GraphQL straight after the update is made:

query { items_by_column_values (board_id: xxxxxx ,column_id: “email_1” , column_value: “”) {id name} }

The response does not find a match:
{ “data”: { “items_by_column_values”: }, “account_id”: xxxxxx }

But if I wait up to 2/3/5 minutes, and I keep querying the API the response finally comes back.

This has been tested from both the GraphQL Developers platform and my own APIs code

Thank you

Hello @marcodg!

Matias here!

That sounds quite odd. I would love to investigate this further. Could you please send us an email at explaining the issue and specifying the board ID, user and precise timestamp (with location) of the last time you saw this issue so we can take a closer look?

Looking forward to hearing from you :slightly_smiling_face:



I have the same problem, did you find a solution ?


I have reported the issue to Matias and the Developers team, and they told me they will work on reducing this delay.
I haven’t noticed particular improvements yet to be honest, so I am not sure when this update will be done unfortunately.

I’ve found this same issue. I’m guessing it is a delay while data is indexed.

I’ve found this to be an issue in two scenarios…

  1. When I add an item to a board, then search items in the board to find it, I cannot find it for a few minutes.

  2. If I delete an item, then search items in the board to find that item, it continues to be returned for a few minutes.

I’m using Integromat, which I assume uses your API. I don’t get errors, just a latency in seeing the results of my changes. This problem means I can’t count on the API returning the correct set of items. Please address this!